Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    KingKoopa's Avatar
    KingKoopa is offline New Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Handicapping service.

    I'm building a site, handicapping sports. In the US, it's illegal to actually operate a sportsbook, but would it be legal to promote a white label casino and link to that from my Handicapping site? I apologize if this is a simple question. I'm kinda new to the online business world an want to be sure I'm legal lol thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    This depends on your location (what your state laws are)
    For example in Washington state what your talking about is a class 1 Felony(same as murder).

    However, in most States there are no specific laws on this.
    Past cases have set case law that Advertising is considered a form of free speech (unless your advocating something illegal... Like sports betting)... But you better check with an Attorney that knows online gambling and your state laws.

    Horse Racing has a lot of carve outs from the federal laws on online gambling. But your state laws trump that... so find a good lawyer.

  3. #3
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Handicapping services such as Doc's Sports and Pregame.com both promote online sportsbooks.

    Also, Prof. I Nelson Rose has said on many occasions that it isn't the act of placing sports betting that is illegal, it is accepting the bets - at least on the federal level. This is probably another reason why affiliates haven't been targeted as of yet.

    But I am no lawyer, so don't take what I say as legal advise.

  4. #4
    KingKoopa's Avatar
    KingKoopa is offline New Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Awesome! That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'd love to run an actual sportsbook, but alas, Uncle Sam isn't having it lol.

  5. #5
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Why do you think sports betting players want to click on casino banners?

    If you're handicapping site is serious then it will attract seasoned bettors looking for analysis and good betting angles.
    Most sports betting players are looking for potential +EV bets, not playing slots and table games that are clearly -EV.

    I can see some possibility in crossover of Sports Bettors to Poker play ... but not channels such as casino, bingo or lotto?

  6. #6
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    I can see some possibility in crossover of Sports Bettors to Poker play ... but not channels such as casino, bingo or lotto?
    In my experience, casino players will bet on sports quite often, especially when there are playoffs, major games or races. As long as there is some cross promotion and easy access. Granted, casino players don't usually become regular sports bettors, but they do bet on sports.

    Don't usually see it the other way though. Sports bettors, don't usually go for casino games much, from what I have seen.


    IMO, gamblers are gamblers, be it dice, football, horses or cards...

  7. #7
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Agreed - casino players have proven themselves to be up for any bet - regardless of price - just make it entertaining ...

  8. #8
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    Actually after thinking about it.

    All the people I know that are into betting on sports. That's all they do as far as gambling goes, is bet on sports.
    I can't even think of any regular sports punters I know that play poker(except on the rare occasion) or play casino games.

  9. #9
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Well - I could vouch for at least a dozen regular poker / sports punters from my site forum ... (including myself) ...
    And I've got empirical evidence from my own cross-promotional efforts on our site that sports to poker is a potential stream.

    But when it's casino players- then that's a whole different stream - and I have to find that group separately from sports punters.
    (The only caveat to that is the asian region - where there is a cultural heritage of games like baccarat or roulette - just to BE LUCKY)

  10. #10
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    Oh I am not saying poker players don't bet on sports. I know they do.

    It is just the regular sports punters I know, seems like all they talk about is sports and spreads.

  11. #11
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Of the sports bettors that I have under my affiliate accounts, only one plays the casino on a regular basis. Most of my sports bettor never play in the casino, or, if they do, it is very limited and not for very much.

  12. #12
    KingKoopa's Avatar
    KingKoopa is offline New Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Man! I'm glad I found this site. You guys all seem very knowledgable. I don't have any wild ideas that I'll get rich by promoting a affiliate program, but I would like to make as much off of everything I do as possible. Lol I assumed my clients wouldn't spend their day playing virtual slot machines but I know many many sports bettors that also play poker, texas Hold'Em and what not. Lol I almost went with a PPH booking solution and connected that to my Handicapper site. But kinda figured that was too much for our beloved Uncle Sam to look past lmao

  13. #13
    MrDeposit is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    From what I learn via my affiliate accounts and other affiliates I have noticed these crossover promotions work...

    Casino to Sports Betting
    Sports Betting to Poker
    Poker to Casino (Blackjack)

    I haven't seen or hearing any crossing over to or from bingo yet. I guess I will have to do some testing.

  14. #14
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    Most of us here have been doing this for years and years... I am actually well into my 2nd decade, I started my first website back in 1996... god I am getting old... lol

    Making money from an affiliate program is like anything else, if you work hard and smart you can make a living.
    If your lucky, as well as hard working and smart, you can make a damn good living.


    Added::

    Bingo to Slots
    Bingo to Keno

    Seem to cross convert well.
    Last edited by lots0; 24 November 2012 at 11:00 am.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to lots0 For This Useful Post:


  16. #15
    MrDeposit is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lots0 View Post
    Most of us here have been doing this for years and years... I am actually well into my 2nd decade, I started my first website back in 1996... god I am getting old... lol

    Making money from an affiliate program is like anything else, if you work hard and smart you can make a living.
    If your lucky, as well as hard working and smart, you can make a damn good living.


    Added::

    Bingo to Slots
    Bingo to Keno

    Seem to cross convert well.
    Thanks, anything cross over to bingo?

  17. #16
    lots0 is offline Former Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2003
    Posts
    886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 571 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kushmoney View Post
    Thanks, anything cross over to bingo?
    Never really tried going that way.
    For me, Bingo is a low earner, low conversions, So I never really tried to cross promote Bingo to Casino punters.. Sorry.

  18. #17
    MrDeposit is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lots0 View Post
    Never really tried going that way.
    For me, Bingo is a low earner, low conversions, So I never really tried to cross promote Bingo to Casino punters.. Sorry.
    Oh ok, thanks for the information. I will give bingo to casino promotions a try.

  19. #18
    KingKoopa's Avatar
    KingKoopa is offline New Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I see I have a lot to learn, lol. I'm kind of a big deal with handicapping. But I see I'm going to have to learn about affiliate marketing and such also, to get the biggest return...

  20. #19
    MrDeposit is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Maybe this will help. I was reading this article earlier http://www.dropoutgotrich.com/genera...s-handicapper/

  21. #20
    KingKoopa's Avatar
    KingKoopa is offline New Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    nice read! I may not be doing it the proper way, but im not going to have different levels of membership, one flat fee and you get all my picks. im also not going to be calling people hawking my services....that gets annoying! lol. im just going to keep it straight forward and simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •