Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    iGamingWriter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    751
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Default OnlineCasinoReviewer's legal challenge against Affiliate Edge

    Hi All,

    For those who were not aware Dave Sawyer, owner of OnlineCasinoReviewer.com recently challenged the retroactive application of a Minimum Activity Quota by Affiliate Edge in the UK courts. This was a bold action that I was personally very impressed by. The justification for the application of this term was a fairly standard 'we can change anything at any time and there's nothing you can do about it other than close your account and forfeit your historic earns' clause. I personally have always been sceptical about whether these types of terms would stand up to legal challenge due to the imbalance in power they create. Practically there is no such thing as a contract for the affiliate while that type of term is in place.

    Unfortunately at the end of last year Dave's efforts came to an unsuccessful conclusion. The court effectively declined to hear the case based on an arbitration clause contained within the contract requiring arbitration before litigation. The unfortunate consequence of this is that Bath Rock Media Limited has been forced to pay a significant proportion of Affiliate Edge's legal fees (~£12k out of over £20k they wanted to defend them from paying a balance of ~£5k).

    I know that there will be affiliates here that have been impacted by the rogue activities we've seen this program engage in over the last year and I hope many of you will be as morally offended by this outcome as I am. Dave fought for the right reasons and lost for the wrong ones.

    When I heard about this the decision was made to make a contribution to help Dave meet these legal fees. Turns out that I wasn't the only one to think this way. Casinomeister stepped up to the plate with a donation that made ours seem paltry. And both http://casinobonusesnow.com/ and http://fastpayingcasinos.com/ came through with their own contributions. Between all of theses sites and Dave's own payments all but £5.9k of the balance has been covered.

    It is my hope that other affiliates will take a similarly community minded approach and that the rest of this balance can be covered by us all pulling together. For those who would struggle to justify making a contribution simply to help right a wrong - financially times aren't easy and money has to be spent wisely - ThePOGG.com, Casinomeister, and OnlineCasinoReview will all be offering a fully credited link within their articles on this topic to any affiliate who contributes £500 or more. (Articles are linked in the site names in the previous sentence).

    Truly this is an opportunity for affiliates to come together and make a clear statement about programs that choose to apply these types of terms by supporting an affiliate that tried to stand up and get a court ruling that could have benefited all of us.

    TP

  2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to iGamingWriter For This Useful Post:

    Anthony (21 February 2018), Betreels Casino (21 February 2018), bossrm (20 February 2018), Brokkoli (27 February 2018), Cash Bonus (20 February 2018), celena (21 April 2018), Gerrypolt (21 February 2018), Juan Roman (21 February 2018), MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), ocreditor (22 February 2018), PROFRBcom (20 February 2018), PromoteCasino (21 February 2018), Sidney (20 February 2018), Strider1973 (21 February 2018), sweetbet (20 February 2018), vardan (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018), wolfie (21 February 2018)

  3. #2
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    As someone who has been screwed over by multiple affiliate programs in the past (thankfully not this one), I can empathize with everyone's plight. Given that this is the first legal challenge I have witnessed, I am definitely willing to support it financially, and I will write an article about this bullshit on my site as well as giving a link back to OnlineCasinoReviewer for having the balls to take action.

    Furthermore, I would be happy to contribute financial support. Pogg, I will be PM'ing you shortly to discuss how I can contribute.

    Thank you for making this post.
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PROFRBcom For This Useful Post:

    Betreels Casino (21 February 2018), bossrm (20 February 2018), MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  5. #3
    bossrm's Avatar
    bossrm is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2016
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    98
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    I recently screwed up by affiliate program in Asia too.You are the man Dave!What you have done will inspire others including me to take action against the rouge activity.Even though I can't afford the £500 but I will contribute as much as I can afford for Dave's brave.I hope this will inspire us and change something I will PM you the Pogg

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bossrm For This Useful Post:

    Betreels Casino (21 February 2018), celena (21 April 2018), MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), ocreditor (22 February 2018), PROFRBcom (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  7. #4
    wolfie is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    341
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 315 Times in 153 Posts

    Default

    I will be happy to help as well. Dave did something not a lot of affiliates would dare to do. I will PM you as well.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolfie For This Useful Post:

    Betreels Casino (21 February 2018), Cash Bonus (21 February 2018), MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), PROFRBcom (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  9. #5
    Webzcas's Avatar
    Webzcas is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    1,395
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 409 Posts

    Default

    I'd just like to say a big thank you to ThePogg, Casinomeister and CasinoBonusesNow. But seriously ThePogg you have been a rock.

    Unfortunately I cannot say anymore than what has been posted here or what I have written on my own site which TP linked above. But a big thank you to all of the community and my peers, especially to those that have chipped in to help.
    Exit stage left

  10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Webzcas For This Useful Post:

    allaboutthebets (21 February 2018), Betreels Casino (21 February 2018), Cash Bonus (21 February 2018), MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), PROFRBcom (21 February 2018), PromoteCasino (21 February 2018), Scampi (21 February 2018), sweetbet (21 February 2018), vardan (21 February 2018), wolfie (21 February 2018)

  11. #6
    iGamingWriter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    751
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    I'm just contacting everyone to gather invoice details which I'll then pass to Dave as a single file.

    I genuinely cannot believe the response we've had to this! Already we've already gathered £4.6k and we're not even at 24 hours!! Many people like to represent affiliates as selfish and self-serving. That may be true for some within the industry, but imo this sort of showing demonstrates that there are many good people working as affiliates.

    I want to give a deep and genuine 'thank you' to everyone who's contacted so far.

    Taking this in mind I have some thoughts about an 'affiliate union' type of arrangement. I'm not going to derail this topic with that conversation so I will start a new thread and edit this post with a link to it. Got it to work there would have to be a lot of conversation.....

    TP
    iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.

    BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.

  12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iGamingWriter For This Useful Post:

    Brokkoli (27 February 2018), MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), PROFRBcom (21 February 2018), PromoteCasino (21 February 2018), vardan (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  13. #7
    Juan Roman's Avatar
    Juan Roman is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 263 Times in 184 Posts

    Default

    While I haven't experienced similar issues with affiliate programs having recently started my first site, I can definitely relate to Dave's problems and all the others who have been cheated out of their hard-earned money.

    I'm afraid I cannot afford the £500, but I will be happy to contribute as much as I can, while also publishing the story on our site with backlink to OnlineCasinoReviewer. Please PM me with instructions on how to send the cash.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juan Roman For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), PROFRBcom (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  15. #8
    iGamingWriter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    751
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Roman View Post
    I'm afraid I cannot afford the £500, but I will be happy to contribute as much as I can, while also publishing the story on our site with backlink to OnlineCasinoReviewer. Please PM me with instructions on how to send the cash.
    That's really good of you and any contribution would be warmly appreciated!

    TP
    iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.

    BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iGamingWriter For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  17. #9
    Luke Affalliance's Avatar
    Luke Affalliance is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 318 Times in 103 Posts

    Default

    Oh wow, It's shame that the court made such decision. I've been following the case from the very beginning and honestly, I thought that you've had all chances to win. Please hit me a pm. I might be able to help you out.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luke Affalliance For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  19. #10
    MichaelCorfman's Avatar
    MichaelCorfman is offline GPWA Executive Director
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,707
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked 6,374 Times in 2,045 Posts

    Default

    Anthony just brought this thread to my attention. We always try to help fellow webmasters. Toward that end Anthony made this thread sticky so that it will be more easily seen by webmasters here, and the GPWA will make a contribution to help cover the legal fees.

    Michael
    GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot
    Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MichaelCorfman For This Useful Post:

    agsgroup (21 February 2018), Former Member 14 (22 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  21. #11
    iGamingWriter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    751
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    I'm REALLY happy to read your post Michael. Assuming that everyone honours the amounts that they've communicated then GPWA's contributions should put us over the line. I think it's a great note to end on.

    As such I'm going to ask that no-one else makes an offer for the time being. I very much appreciate everyone's generosity but it would be unethical to take a penny more than was needed under the pretences. In a few days time once we can confirm whether the full amount has been met I'll make another post either confirming victory or detailing any remaining balance.

    Thank you to everyone and I'm hoping to make a post about some type of affiliate union for you all to think about later today (Michael - I've PM'd Anthony an outline of my thoughts and would very much appreciate your input.)

    TP
    Last edited by iGamingWriter; 21 February 2018 at 9:26 am.
    iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.

    BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iGamingWriter For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  23. #12
    WBM's Avatar
    WBM
    WBM is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    410
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 97 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Really sorry about the outcome of this.

    Fair play to you Dave..you did what almost every affiliate has wanted to do but never had the guts

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WBM For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  25. #13
    RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    896
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Absolutely gutted for OCR, I assumed wrongly that it would be a clear win for him. Shows what we all know about the law. These companies always seem to find a way to wriggle out of things with their big budgets and top lawyers - it's a sick world and indeed a sick industry when these guys can live in a £3.5m gaffe in Hale and be immune to paying out an affiliate £5k that they owe him and then smash him with owing their very expensive legal fees.

    I was just wondering with regards this:
    "The court effectively declined to hear the case based on an arbitration clause contained within the contract requiring arbitration before litigation."

    What does that actually mean in lay man's terms? Who would have carried out such arbitration, how could that have even been done?

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RacingJim For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), PROFRBcom (21 February 2018), Webzcas (21 February 2018)

  27. #14
    RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    896
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    PS, just thinking what they'd do if you'd won, they would probably have gone to ground, not paid you and eventually liquidated the company and re-opened it or something equally disgusting. I'd think about doing the same to them. I'd certainly not be handing over £12k of my money to those twats without some serious battling on their part.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to RacingJim For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018)

  29. #15
    RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    896
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Happy to chip in a few hundred quid towards this by the way, if anyone can't make their payments.

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RacingJim For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), PROFRBcom (21 February 2018)

  31. #16
    iGamingWriter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    751
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RacingJim View Post
    I was just wondering with regards this:
    "The court effectively declined to hear the case based on an arbitration clause contained within the contract requiring arbitration before litigation."

    What does that actually mean in lay man's terms? Who would have carried out such arbitration, how could that have even been done?
    What that means is that due to a clause in the contract that requires disputes to be resolved via arbitration and because the parties had not engage an arbitrator, the court ruled that it was not the appropriate forum to address the dispute. Normally this would be a 3rd party approved by both parties, but it likely would have been expensive (though less than the costs have been here) and it could prove difficult to find a party willing to take up this case that both would agree to. Also - to my knowledge - no efforts were made by either party to engage the arbitration process.

    ------ This next section is entirely my opinion and I am NOT a lawyer ------

    I suspect that the court may have been in error to make this ruling or at least would have taken a different view had the following been presented in an appropriate manner. OCR were asking for a ruling on a point of law. Specifically whether term 8.5 would be considered legally valid (the term that allows the operator to change any term at any time and the affiliate has no recourse other than to close their account and forfeit historic referrals). An arbitrator cannot to my knowledge give such an ruling and based on the course I've taken with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, I believe that this would be solid ground to view the arbitration clause as non-valid.

    TP
    Last edited by iGamingWriter; 21 February 2018 at 11:55 am.
    iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.

    BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iGamingWriter For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018), PROFRBcom (21 February 2018), RacingJim (21 February 2018)

  33. #17
    RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    896
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    I guess overall it probably was one for the contract lawyers to look at and was beyond the expertise and scope of the small claims court, i.e. not a simple X owes Y money and hasn't paid it.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to RacingJim For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018)

  35. #18
    Webzcas's Avatar
    Webzcas is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    1,395
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 409 Posts

    Default

    Just want to thank everyone, I am truly grateful.
    Exit stage left

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Webzcas For This Useful Post:

    MichaelCorfman (21 February 2018)

  37. #19
    iGamingWriter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    751
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RacingJim View Post
    Happy to chip in a few hundred quid towards this by the way, if anyone can't make their payments.
    Sorry - I meant to respond to this earlier - that's fantastic of you to offer. I have a short list of people I'm considering 'first reserves' and I'll keep you on it in case something goes wrong!!

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to iGamingWriter For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (9 August 2018)

  39. #20
    CasinoBonusMaster's Avatar
    CasinoBonusMaster is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2016
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Just came across this thread! Please add us to the 'first reserves' as well!

    Good job Dave! That's a fight worth fighting!
    Casino Bonus Master
    Your wish is my command! Become a Master yourself!
    CasinoBonusMaster.com

  40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CasinoBonusMaster For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (22 February 2018), Webzcas (22 February 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •