Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    DaftDog's Avatar
    DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 779 Times in 467 Posts

    Default PageRank Dropped by Google

    The PageRank feature has been dropped from Webmaster tools. Read more here.

    PageRank is just a small cog in the machine as indicated for ages by many people.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DaftDog For This Useful Post:

    bonustreak (19 October 2009), GamTrak (19 October 2009), giggles7p (19 October 2009), Holland87 (19 October 2009), slotsngames (19 October 2009)

  3. #2
    matted's Avatar
    matted is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    2,685
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 328 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    PR got a bad rep as the various PR stats never seemed to update and didn't reflect SERPs. I'd like to see them either make it work properly or just get rid of it.
    Owner, Cognitive Powers, Inc.
    Soon to be ex-webmaster
    Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to matted For This Useful Post:

    slotsngames (19 October 2009)

  5. #3
    GamTrak's Avatar
    GamTrak is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,261
    Thanks
    1,678
    Thanked 890 Times in 629 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ixian View Post
    The PageRank feature has been dropped from Webmaster tools. Read more here.

    PageRank is just a small cog in the machine as indicated for ages by many people.
    I agree matted. It's about time because the PageRank just caused some folks to use that number to place to much importance on site value.

  6. #4
    pgaming's Avatar
    pgaming is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2005
    Posts
    2,854
    Thanks
    414
    Thanked 215 Times in 164 Posts

    Default

    Good post Ixian mentioned it a few days ago. I find it interesting because maybe they will either get rid of Page Rank altogether or make it not viewable for anyone. Either way for those who consider PR important major changes are or will be coming.

    Just a thought

    As of yesterday Google has removed Page Rank Data from the webmasters tools section.


    Why? Well according Susan a Google Employee.

    Quote:
    We've been telling people for a long time that they shouldn't focus on PageRank so much; many site owners seem to think it's the most important metric for them to track, which is simply not true. We removed it because we felt it was silly to tell people not to think about it, but then to show them the data, implying that they should look at it.

    source:http://www.google.com/support/forum/...e26e9e48&hl=en
    Some SEO circles are suggesting hiding Google may decide to hide Page Rank altogether.

    greek39
    My personal opinion Page Rank is outdated and abused. With all the major updates Google is currently undergoing something is going to give.

    Also I heard the "nofollow" tag maybe absolute.

    greek39
    Last edited by pgaming; 19 October 2009 at 9:40 am. Reason: fixing link

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to pgaming For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    DaftDog's Avatar
    DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 779 Times in 467 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greek39 View Post
    Good post Ixian mentioned it a few days ago. I find it interesting because maybe they will either get rid of Page Rank altogether or make it not viewable for anyone. Either way for those who consider PR important major changes are or will be coming.

    My personal opinion Page Rank is outdated and abused. With all the major updates Google is currently undergoing something is going to give.

    Also I heard the "nofollow" tag maybe absolute.

    greek39
    Sorry greek39, I missed your post, didn't mean to duplicate content.

  9. #6
    pgaming's Avatar
    pgaming is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2005
    Posts
    2,854
    Thanks
    414
    Thanked 215 Times in 164 Posts

    Default

    I am glad you posted because it will be very interesting where goes from here.

    Important thread to follow!

    greek39

  10. #7
    bonusbeast is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    I've read it is disapearing in different countries, I think the U.K. is one, mine is still available in the U.S

  11. #8
    slotsngames's Avatar
    slotsngames is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    This is very interesting and thanks for bringing it to our attention. I have believed for some time that PR has been misleading and out of date so either Google should take the initiative to improve this function or remove it.

    If you find out anything more, I'd be glad to hear it.

    Ciao
    Anthea

    "Slots N Games, Reels of Entertainment"
    www.slotsngames.co.uk

    Get 60% for your first 2 months when you sign up before the end of the year!
    Affiliate Program: G2 Affiliates
    My Twitter
    Blog Spot

  12. #9
    casinobonusguy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Posts
    2,682
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    I am cured of the pr obsession disease ,having about 9 pr7 sites slapped down to pr4 opened my eyes.Now If i have high pr sites I keep it to myself and learn to pay more attention to the traffic and earnings stats.My best earning site is a pr3 website and I have some pr0 sites who net higher than some pr5 sites.

  13. #10
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casinobonusguy View Post
    My best earning site is a pr3 website
    Agreed. I'd put my PR3 website up against single ANY affiliate website out there in terms of earnings.

    We didn't bother "sculpting PR" which as been a SE mini-industry for 24 months now, instead we simply linked to what we liked and recommended, and ignored PR altogether.

    The PR algo was complete and utter bollocks ... good riddance.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    Webzcas (20 October 2009)

  15. #11
    Webzcas's Avatar
    Webzcas is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    1,395
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 409 Posts

    Default

    The PR algo was complete and utter bollocks ... good riddance.
    You read my mind.

    Does this mean we will all soon be rid of those stupid form link exhange mails suggesting that they will put your link on some crappy, never visited PR4 page. In return for you giving them a superb backlink back?

    I sure hope so, as my spam bin is bulging from those.
    Exit stage left

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Webzcas For This Useful Post:

    TheGooner (20 October 2009)

  17. #12
    DaftDog's Avatar
    DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 779 Times in 467 Posts

    Default Link Building

    I'm sure link exchanges will continue but not based too much on PR but more on the actual quality content of the site. In the past I would do a link trade with a real crappy looking site with weak content just because it had a PR rating.

    The PR currency is dead, what will replace it?

  18. #13
    machutch's Avatar
    machutch is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    netherland
    Posts
    57
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    i am wondering if on the seoquake it is showing n/a or the latest PR. and for how long it's going to be on there.
    Best Regards Erik Hutchison

    Online Wedden, De Belgische en Nederlandse tip site voor wedden op voetbal.

  19. #14
    Webzcas's Avatar
    Webzcas is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    1,395
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 409 Posts

    Default

    I'm sure link exchanges will continue but not based too much on PR but more on the actual quality content of the site.
    That's how it always should be done. Based on content and the serps both sites hold in the various search engines. Page Rank has always been a toolbar trophy, nothing more.
    Exit stage left

  20. #15
    bbonline's Avatar
    bbonline is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2009
    Posts
    339
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts

    Default

    I also read that update and I wonder why they let Google staff answer those queries, though Matt Cutts is the representative of Google. I might be more satisfy if they post the update on Webmaster Blog or on Matt Cutts blog.

  21. #16
    Chips's Avatar
    Chips is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    3,618
    Thanks
    1,040
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    Could it be another red herring tossed our way? I gave up trying to please G for page rank and went to providing what the visitor is looking for and higher serps. I agree with all of the above that too much emphasis is/was placed on PR alone. Give me a pleasing experience and I might just buy.

    Just like a retail store, the price might be right, but if the store is in the floor with the good, I ain't going in!
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •