Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default Sites Re-Publishing Same Content

    I have noticed that some sites re-publish the exact same content a few days after their first post. Is this standard from an seo standpoint?

    For instance I have seen sites publish an article on monday about a football game on thursday, the article is dated for Monday. They publish more articles and then Wed comes around and the publish the exact same article and it is dated Wed?

    Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions?
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  2. #2
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,994
    Thanks
    4,543
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    That seems kinda dangerous to me as far as duplicate penalties go.

    And from the user/visitor perspective, seems kinda stupid. Why do I wanna read the same thing over again?

    Rick
    Universal4

  3. #3
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    I dont know, I look at other sports betting sites to see what they are doing. I noticed this in a few sites, lack of sports writers perhaps?



    I use the same disclaimer on my blog posts, can anyone let me know if that is hurting my site?

    I need to have a disclaimer but can the same internal text even if it is a disclaimer hurt more than help?
    Last edited by edgarf76; 3 October 2013 at 9:09 pm. Reason: information

  4. #4
    slotplayer is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked 322 Times in 252 Posts

    Default

    I did see a video from matt cutts saying they know about disclaimers on ever page and its not dup.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi-wkEeOKxM

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to slotplayer For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (3 October 2013)

  6. #5
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    I use a disclaimer page, so just a link to that page on every page. Also helps with keyword density etc.

    As far as publishing the same article I cant think that is a good practice. If it were that easy to add content and not get dinged for it there wouldnt be any new info on the web. I would think that would eventually catch up to them.
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  7. #6
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    You mean a link in the footer? That people can go too no matter where they are on a site?


    I found the re pulbishing shocking, it is a pretty big website which shall remain nameless. It seems like the are trying to create a buzz from old content.
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  8. #7
    justbookies is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked 864 Times in 513 Posts

    Default

    edgar - do you mean republishing content with a new url or just changing the publish date so what was published on Monday now just shows as published on Thursday (but is actually same article with same url)?

    I have seen the same article re-published with a new date (so actually it is the same page and not duplicate), happens a lot, but not seen it republished with a new url ?

  9. #8
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    edgar - do you mean republishing content with a new url or just changing the publish date so what was published on Monday now just shows as published on Thursday (but is actually same article with same url)?

    @justbookies - That is a good question, I looked at the change of dates but not the URL. I am going to keep my eye of for that, I have not checked it.

    It may be the same URL but just updating the article for the readers on the same day as the game. I am going to have to get back to you one that one.
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  10. #9
    JackTenSuited is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2004
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 334 Times in 207 Posts

    Default

    I know some people change the date especially for more time sensitive posts like match reviews as Google will often display the freshness of a post, people are more likely to click a link if it was posted an hour ago as opposed to a week ago.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to JackTenSuited For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (5 October 2013)

  12. #10
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgarf76 View Post
    edgar - do you mean republishing content with a new url or just changing the publish date so what was published on Monday now just shows as published on Thursday (but is actually same article with same url)?

    @justbookies - That is a good question, I looked at the change of dates but not the URL. I am going to keep my eye of for that, I have not checked it.

    It may be the same URL but just updating the article for the readers on the same day as the game. I am going to have to get back to you one that one.
    You were right about this. I saved the URL from Monday and I see the same thing posted. I checked and it is the same exact URL with todays date on it? I guess they are just updated their readers without re-publishing the content again?
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  13. #11
    justbookies is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked 864 Times in 513 Posts

    Default

    Yes, it done for the reasons Deanimus states above, just changing the publication date within their content management system (wordpress etc).

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to justbookies For This Useful Post:

    edgarf76 (9 October 2013)

  15. #12
    mikebuchanan's Avatar
    mikebuchanan is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Just faking up to date content to trick Google ---> very lame method will get punished in a month or 2

  16. #13
    justbookies is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked 864 Times in 513 Posts

    Default

    I don't think simply changing the publication date on a post will currently get you punished. I see it all the time with established sites. You could argue if you have updated the article then it is valid to change the date on it.

  17. #14
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    I think they are doing it for their readers, they are a solid site who has a good reputation. They post about all sports and I think they are just updating their "recent posts" so their readers can see the football action on game day.

    I thought that they were completely re-publishing the content but they are not. I checked the URLS and they are the exact same. If it is updated the readers and not posting up another article for SEO benefits, why should that get penalized?
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  18. #15
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    I found an article on this seroundtable.com/google-news-title-cheat-17651.html

    I am noticing this is very common, especially with football. Question is this cheating? If a person posts something that is good for the reader on Monday about Sundays game, then puts a different date on it on Saturday for the reader and for their benefit. Is this fair?

    I am curious to hear some feedback, I think this is a pretty grey area. I am seeing that people that claim to be 100% white hat doing it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •