thebookiesoffers is offline Former Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,009 Posts

Default Strange pop up on site

Looking for some help please people. I have this site http://www.aussiefreebet.com.au and sometimes when I check the site a strange pop up comes up in the center of the site saying something like "aussiefreebet says blah bla blah some bollocks about a free bet" then it takes you through to Betway. I don't even have Betway on there. I've had a quick look to see if I can find the code but so far I can't find what is creating this. Any ideas where it is and what can be done to find it and delete it?

-Shay- is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,686 Posts

Have you noticed any pattern on when you're seeing the strange pop-up (i.e. direct visit, visit through google search, from a link, time of day, every one out of four visits, etc.)?

I was just on your site and didn't see anything of the sort and scanning through the source code quickly - didn't find anything either.

xecutable is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 614 Posts

Nope I get no pop up from the 3 pcs I've checked here. Tried on the VPNs nothing shows up either. Nothing in the code that looks like calling an external file or anything like that either.

theGman is offline Public Member
    Thanks

I dont get any pop ups either and tried 2 PCs

universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,280 Times in 5,245 Posts

Sounds like something could be on your machine that is targeting aussiekeywords??

Rick
    Universal4

Roulette Zeitung is offline Public Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,683 Times in 2,949 Posts

Hello,

Kaspersky is not as expensive as some people think, and CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) is free of charge.
    After using these two programs nearly every spook is gone.

Leopold

Thanks

If you are in fact infected, CClearner will not catch near as much as Malwarebytes.

Ccleaner is/was designed to clean out temp files, cookies (we wouldn't want affiliates making any money), browser history, recycle bin and misc other items.

Malwarebytes (my personal favorite), Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware and many more will do a much better job.

Rick
    Universal4

-Shay- is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    If you are in fact infected, CClearner will not catch near as much as Malwarebytes.

Ccleaner is/was designed to clean out temp files, cookies (we wouldn't want affiliates making any money), browser history, recycle bin and misc other items.

Malwarebytes (my personal favorite), Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware and many more will do a much better job.

Rick
    Universal4
    +1 on Spybot

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello,

i did not wite, that i use CCleaner for Trojan/Virus protection. For this i use Kaspersky. In the past i tried many free anti-virus programs, and after all i must say, that Kaspersky really made my PC not only clean. It was never infected again since years. And this is for me the most important thing. For a license I pay 8-15 Euros for one more year (e.g. Ebay auctions) again and again, and it's really worth the money.

Some free Anti-Trojan programs have backdoors and a lot of free Anti-Virus programs are not a real protection.

CCleaner is not a anti-virus or anti-trojan program. As you wrote, it's a program to destroy internet traces. I like it because of the safe overwriting feature. 7 times overwriting is my setting and internet browsing should be private. It's e.g. possible to read out the browser history.

99% of all surfers don't care about privacy in the internet. They will be sorry for that in the future.

Cookies have to be deleted, because search engines provider can trace a search request back to your computer and other bad things happen.

And because of the worldwide NSA spying there is no doubt, that privacy is more important then ever and more imortant then all other things. I can only recommend to use a NON-U.S. based paid VPN-Service for some special hours of surfing. For phone and text messages there are still ways to be a free man if you don't like to be snooped by U.S. intelligence agencies: For Android Whisper Systems (https://whispersystems.org/), for communications Silent Circle (https://silentcircle.com/).

Leopold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Roulette Zeitung For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (10 August 2013)

Thanks

Many people use different antivirus and anti-malware programs for different reasons.

I can say the same thing about Avast. I like them because when I do happen to visit a site that is infected with a trojan or malware that Avast recognizes, Avast immediately cuts the connection to that site, and has saved my butt a number of times. Because of some of the research I have to do on software services and programs, I find myself at hacker sites on a regular basis because they might have fixes or explanations of manual fixes that I need for clients.

Kapersky is an ok antivirus in my opinion, and one that I would rate in the top 10, and there isn't a single one that is 100% as I have seen infections on workstations and laptops no matter what antivirus is installed or active.

Yes privacy is a big thing, but we all know deleting cookies hurts affiliates, and the viruses and trojans are not coming in to the systems by cookies.

Oh, and the US is certainly not the only country doing any spying, however they have been recently caught, and I will admit, the the US Govt. is likely a little better at spying on their residents, or at least have gotten caught more.

Leopold, I never tried to imply anything, and didn't mean for this thread to turn into a discussion about anti-malware ratings, except that if thebookiesoffers has a trojan, CCleaner is not gonna do a thing to find or remove it, and tried to provide a recommendation of one of the very best and most recommended anti-malware programs available.

Just research any trojan by name, and 75% or more of the forums thatcontain instructions on how to remove it WILL recommend Malware Bytes, (as well as whatever other programs the poster prefers or that the forum promotes)

Rick
    Universal4
    Last edited by universal4; 11 August 2013 at 9:00 am. Reason: spelling

Moonlight Cat is offline Private Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 672 Posts

I check site and don't find pop-up windows.

edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -Shay- View Post
    Have you noticed any pattern on when you're seeing the strange pop-up (i.e. direct visit, visit through google search, from a link, time of day, every one out of four visits, etc.)?

I was just on your site and didn't see anything of the sort and scanning through the source code quickly - didn't find anything either.
    There were no pop ups when I checked. My site got hacked last week, if you are using wordpress check any third party plugins. That is where I found the bug. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh, and the US is certainly not the only country doing any spying, however they have been recently caught, and I will admit, the the US Govt. is likely a little better at spying on their residents, or at least have gotten caught more.
    "A little better at [...] on their residents"

Many young people maby don't know anything about some "little better at [...] on their residents". They should searching with Google for "Project MKULTRA", because i don't think it's an actual schooling throughout the country. Then you know what happened if a democratic country tries to be "A little better at [...] on their residents".

History repeats itself. In the past with injection jabs, today with computer programs from intelligence agencies. The result at the end is the same: The gloomy visions of the future from George Orwell become reality.

Leopold

LukeC is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Thanks

It sounds like someone is doing CPV advertising on your domain and is using a network that you've "consented" to using when you installed something on your PC - most frequently this is a toolbar where the user doesn't realise what they are opting into (who reads the T&Cs?!) but it could be any programme or even spread as a virus. That explains why only you can see the popup and not the rest of us. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do to stop whoever is buying the pop-ups from doing this.

Is it a popup that then redirects to Betway, leaving your site in another window, or does the window that your site is in get redirected?
    Head of Affiliates at Digital Fuel