Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    theshortstack is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Sub domain vs new domain

    I've posted in this a couple of other places, but would welcome GPWA's thoughts on this, as I'm still torn between the two options.

    Basically, I'm considering buying a mobile domain for the mobile traffic to one of my sites.

    Let's say I have the domain playpoker.com. There seem to be two ways that I could do this:
    - Set up a sub-domain (mobile.playpoker.com)
    - Purchase a separate domain (like playpoker.mobi) and re-direct releveant traffic there

    Can someone help me out with the effects of these two options as far as SEO goes? To be honest, I'm leaning towards the separate domain. I'm guessing that the sub-domain option would allow me to pass some sort of PR value to the mobile pages instantly, but I'm not sure how important that is given that people will be directed there directly from my main pages.

    Plus with a separate domain I'd be able to install a dedicated mobile theme for visitors.

    You guys have any thoughts on this? I'd certainly like to hear them.

    Cheers,

  2. #2
    gamblingdomainer is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2011
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    I would suggest you to go for sub-domain. In that way you would be able to make it a separate channel/entity in future as well if you want. Besides, it gives more flexibility to implement things without disturbing your main site.

    Even for SEO purposes, a new domain is better I suppose. Just link it properly from your parent website and you will get the authority weight as well and your mobile site can also start ranking.

    This is my opinion ofcourse, would be good to have further insights from other people as well.
    Selling gambling domains @ our Gambling Domain Name Sales Website | Casino Promotion Blog
    New Slot Portal : Win Slot Machines

  3. #3
    Jay_v's Avatar
    Jay_v is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2011
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    As far as I know Sub-domains does not pass any Trust or Authority from the main domain/pages, it considered as a separate domain by Google.

    But if you want to pass value to the mobile page then you can do it by creating a folder, such as playpoker.com/mobile , which will pass value to it.

    Here is a good article related to this where they comparing Sub domains.

    If it does pass any value then it should pass value to all the free blogs that you make in Wordpress and other sites

    I like the .mobi idea, I think there are lots of good domains still available for grab.

    Let us know how you get on

  4. #4
    theshortstack is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the reply - I've seen it done both ways by some fairly big affiliate sites, so I'm kinda split.

    If I went for the new domain, the link from my parent site would be in the form of a redirect, so there wouldn't necessarily be any linkage there. For that reason, I'm almost not too worried about whether the .mobi site ranks well (it will probably only be a single page with a list of affiliate links on it), so long as my main site continues to rank as it does.

    I'm just wondering whether a re-direct like this will affect my main site at all. Also, is it possible to set up a new WP template specifically for a sub domain like mobile.playpoker.com? Is it a case of installing a new instance on WP on there?

    Cheers,

  5. #5
    Jay_v's Avatar
    Jay_v is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2011
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    You can install WP in subdomain or folder, you just have to create new folder and install WP in there.

  6. #6
    theshortstack is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the link Jay - I'll have a good read of that this evening.

    If a sub domain doesn't pick up any authority from the parent domain, would a 301 re-directing mobile users to a separate .mobi domain pass on authority?

  7. #7
    Jay_v's Avatar
    Jay_v is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2011
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    301 will pass all the values that you have on the current URL, even if the URL has any sort of penalty it will pass it on to the certain 301 re-directed page.

  8. #8
    theshortstack is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    It's probably also worth mentioning that the .mobi domain would be an exact match to the domain I use for my main site, so would presumably protect my brand. Its also made up of a fairly strong keyword phrase.

    Does that change any opinions at all?

  9. #9
    Jay_v's Avatar
    Jay_v is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2011
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    I should imagine it will help the ranking as well.

    You should also look into the layout of your site if you were going with folder or sub-domain option. Most my websites rank well for mobile searches, same as it does on computers. Nowdays all the smart phones are capable of loading webpages as the same way computer does. So it's best to look into designing your site to support mobile phones. Single column layout is the way forward

  10. #10
    theshortstack is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Well this is the thing Jay - the 'mobile' site (whether it's on a sub domain or a separate domain) would have its own design, hopefully getting the best of both worlds

    Even though I've bought the .mobi domain, I'm thinking I'll probably go with the subdomain option just as a way to raise the profile of my entire site.

    Cheers,

  11. #11
    GaryTheScubaGuy's Avatar
    GaryTheScubaGuy is offline In Memorium, 1966-2018
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    745
    Blog Entries
    22
    Thanks
    223
    Thanked 430 Times in 205 Posts

    Default

    Subdomains definitely pass trust and authority. Search google US for "bingo.com". They had an issue with a platform a year or so ago and switched it to a subdomain and regained rankings.

    Also look at some of the top ranking sites for most gaming terms. If you have ranking on the main site and some domain strength to send you can pass it down.
    GaryTheScubaGuy

  12. #12
    Jay_v's Avatar
    Jay_v is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2011
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheScubaGuy View Post
    Subdomains definitely pass trust and authority. Search google US for "bingo.com". They had an issue with a platform a year or so ago and switched it to a subdomain and regained rankings.

    Also look at some of the top ranking sites for most gaming terms. If you have ranking on the main site and some domain strength to send you can pass it down.
    This topic is a confusing one when it get raised in SEO forums. Sub Domains do work if the site is a big site and all the internal linkbuilding has been done properly, links from main page to Sub Domain, so it indicates the relationship between both.

    Im not sure what issue bingo.com has had as I can still see them doing 301 from their main site to subdomain. Shouldn't 301 have passed the same issue to Subdomain if that's the case?

  13. #13
    GaryTheScubaGuy's Avatar
    GaryTheScubaGuy is offline In Memorium, 1966-2018
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    745
    Blog Entries
    22
    Thanks
    223
    Thanked 430 Times in 205 Posts

    Default

    Try running Screaming Frog. Sorry just very short on time.
    GaryTheScubaGuy

  14. #14
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    301s don't always pass the negative, there are some old SEO tricks to get rid of penalties based around this, there are also some plans to game google fresh based around similar things.

  15. #15
    Nile Hadwards is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2010
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Post Re:

    I think You should make a directory called /(Products Name) and move forward. It will provide your domain authority and link juice to other pages. As you said that the company and logo are the same so there would no harm if you provide (Products name) in another directory of that root domain

  16. #16
    MassiveM's Avatar
    MassiveM is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theshortstack View Post
    I've posted in this a couple of other places, but would welcome GPWA's thoughts on this, as I'm still torn between the two options.

    Basically, I'm considering buying a mobile domain for the mobile traffic to one of my sites.

    Let's say I have the domain playpoker.com. There seem to be two ways that I could do this:
    - Set up a sub-domain (mobile.playpoker.com)
    - Purchase a separate domain (like playpoker.mobi) and re-direct releveant traffic there

    Can someone help me out with the effects of these two options as far as SEO goes? To be honest, I'm leaning towards the separate domain. I'm guessing that the sub-domain option would allow me to pass some sort of PR value to the mobile pages instantly, but I'm not sure how important that is given that people will be directed there directly from my main pages.

    Plus with a separate domain I'd be able to install a dedicated mobile theme for visitors.

    You guys have any thoughts on this? I'd certainly like to hear them.

    Cheers,
    For a mobile site; always go with the sub-domain.

  17. #17
    issaco is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Hey, I suggest setting up a sub-domian to redirect mobile traffic. Moreover, work on different pages to redirect for different devices and highlight the "compatible with your "DEVICE" (ex: compatible with your iPhone, Compatible with your Android...)

    Good luck

    Issac,
    BrightShare

    Skype: issac.orland

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •