Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    wejwebb's Avatar
    wejwebb is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Web ring software for SEO

    Does anyone use web ring software. The software gets a bunch of one way links to you website from other participating websites. This is very good for the serps apparently.

    The software I am investigating is from Blackwood productions. Does anyone have any experience with these people or with webrings in general?

  2. #2
    thepokerkeep's Avatar
    thepokerkeep is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    London Canada
    Posts
    2,886
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 799 Posts

    Default

    Are the links related to your niche?
    Do you have to provide links to other participants?

    I don't see anything here to get excited about, just another directory style link exchange... unless I'm missing something.
    Terry - The Pokerkeep
    President / CEO - Gambling Affiliates Union

    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Affiliate Resources
    Gambling Affiliate Program Blacklist

    Email: admin @ thepokerkeep.com



  3. #3
    ddm
    ddm is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    418
    Thanked 470 Times in 287 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wejwebb View Post
    Does anyone use web ring software. The software gets a bunch of one way links to you website from other participating websites. This is very good for the serps apparently.

    The software I am investigating is from Blackwood productions. Does anyone have any experience with these people or with webrings in general?
    webrings are so 1990.. Avoid.

    BH is only a short-term strategy and if you do it incorrectly you will get your moneysite banned / penalised.

    Look at LFE and Scrapebox if you insist on being a spammer/BHer. Both were useful at 1 stage, now LFE isn't worth using at all imo. Scrapebox is a great tool though.

  4. #4
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,988
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    We used to have a webring here.

    We used webring and at one time I had 12 sites in the ring....

    I happened to research the stats at one point and besides one other person at one time I was personally delivering over 40% of the traffic to all ring members....

    The webring we used required the ring links to be on the home page of the website....

    Sites had to be approved and we only allowed gambling sites so all sites in the ring were on theme....

    I don't recall who administered the ring back then.

    In fact I just checked and there are 88 sites in that ring

    I do not think the value is like it used to be for sure and may remove the last few sites I have in the ring but am interested to see more feedback on this....

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  5. #5
    wejwebb's Avatar
    wejwebb is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default More information

    I'll provide a bit more information. The web ring I'm talking about has lots of other websites related to gambling. It provides one way links to each of the websites in that category. Other members in the category provide one way links back.

    You get to choose 5 different types of link text.

    I thought web rings where also very dated but the effect has been impressive on the serps results. This must be because the links it provides are one way.

    The downside is that it has massively reduced my PR per outbound link on my home page. This reduces my bargaining power when it comes to trading links.
    This is the reason I am thinking of removing it, but, I am not sure what it will do to my serp results.

  6. #6
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,988
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    Please provide a link to the ring so we may take a look...

    Bytheway, I ring I talked about originally years ago only had gpwa members in it, but I think was later expanded to others...but only ever allowed gambling sites so all sites were within an acceptable theme...

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  7. #7
    wejwebb's Avatar
    wejwebb is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default location

    Hi,

    The company is blackwoodproductions and the webring sites can be linked to from the bottom of my home page, where it says partners.

    I don't think it is strickly a webring but I'm no expert.

    I'll be removing it soon as I want to test what happens.

  8. #8
    wejwebb's Avatar
    wejwebb is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default removed the code

    I did remove the code and my keyword click thrus from google started to drop. As expected.

    The trouble with this is that the code means that I show as having lots of outbound links on my home page. Not good for trying to negotiate links exchanges.

  9. #9
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,988
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    I actually did a little digging around and the old web ring we used to use here is still inexistience although I have no idea who is in control of it now or handles the approvals etc...

    I have a few older sites in the ring but get very little traffic from it now....

    ...I guess that's better than my stats from years ago as at one time I supplied over 50% of the traffic to the ring....lol

    With those rings, the links you got did not come from the sites but from the hub page.

    It would have been much more attractive if there had only been a few categories that were gambling related, but before you knew it there were dozens and dozens and suddenly the value was severly reduced.

    I don't know if I would go as far and say that rings are so 1990, but I do not think they could ever hold the value they once did.

    I considered starting a ring at one time, but never really found the right software to manage it and abandoned the project. If anyone knew of good software, (preferably free or very low cost) that was easy to impliment and ran fine on a Windows server utilizing php and mysql I would consider it for the future.

    I still think rings can work to a small degree, but only if they concentrate on specific niches (such as gambling only or real estate only)

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  10. #10
    wejwebb's Avatar
    wejwebb is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default is it worth it?

    I suppose the purpose of the 'ring' is for SEO and to get more visitors.

    If that's the case then the time is probably better spent doing other things.

    For example, getting in-links with the right link text. To help with this I've been thinking about buying a web directory. Has anyone got one they want to sell by any chance?

  11. #11
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,988
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    Web rings were originally designed to share a little bit of overflow traffic....traffic that would click on the ring links to visit another site.

    A visitor that was gonna do this was likely leaving anyway....

    There are plenty of other threads here dealing with directories, so look through them or post somewhere what you are looking to purchase.

    Directories are ok, but if they are just plain directories, links from them will not be and powerful as links from other sites.

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,092
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 172 Times in 120 Posts

    Default Avoid it like the plague.

    My first site was banned for 3 years because it was in link farms, "web rings" etc.. I will never, EVER do that again.

    Stick with good content and the occasional blog post links.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •