Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 149

Thread: Weight Loss!

  1. #1
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default Weight Loss!

    Thought it would be an interesting thread to see what weight loss and diet/exercises you guys generally do?

    Right now I'm doing a low carb diet and trying to get in shape. It takes a lot of will power to stick to it since pretty much everything that tastes nice has carbs in it, but so far so good I've lost 14 kg (31lbs) in the last couple months.

    For exercise I've been doing between 150-500 situps a day and playing in a weekly basketball comp. Will post a before and after pic when I hit my target weight

    Has anyone got any interesting weight loss stories or diet/low carb tips to share?

  2. #2
    FictionNet is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks
    1,453
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 672 Posts

    Default

    I don't think I've ever tried to lose weight intentionally. Does having a poo count?

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FictionNet For This Useful Post:

    Gabriel_LCP (30 August 2012), Marit VS (25 October 2012)

  4. #3
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default

    Depends how big it is

    Last edited by p.arena; 29 August 2012 at 9:25 pm.

  5. #4
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    I've been kind of lazy recently, but I normally hit the gym every now and again - more for health than weight loss though...
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  6. #5
    SlotsAff is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2007
    Posts
    810
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 143 Times in 108 Posts

    Default

    I go to the gym every 2nd day and play football 2/3 times a week.

    As for the gym, I do supersets to tone up and lose weight too.

    One thing I've noticed that drinking lots of water helps. It fills you up and keeps you hydrated so you can perform better in the gym/at sports etc.

    As for the gym, change your routine every couple of weeks and do different exercises to keep your body guessing. If you do the same exercises, your body will get used to it and won't benefit as much.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to SlotsAff For This Useful Post:

    p.arena (30 August 2012)

  8. #6
    ocreditor's Avatar
    ocreditor is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    7,363
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    7,108
    Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,838 Posts

    Default

    I watched a BBC horizon program recently that I thought suggested a diet that was doable and, according the the program anyway, helps you to lose weight, bring down your cholesterol and blood sugar levels and shift visceral fat (that's the type that sits on your inner organs, even if you don't seem that big from the outside). Basically, you eat normally, but without going crazy, 5 days a week, and on two days, you "fast". On the fasting days you are allowed one meal of 500 calories for women, 600 for men. The two fasting days don't have to be consecutive, so really all you feel on those days is a bit hungry, like you do on any really busy day at work where you're on the go so much you don't get to eat. You don't start to feel giddy or light headed. The scientist dude in the program did the fasting for 5 weeks and lost a stone in weight. Here's the link to the show but I guess not everyone will be able to view it on BBC Iplayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to ocreditor For This Useful Post:

    p.arena (30 August 2012)

  10. #7
    bboyspyder's Avatar
    bboyspyder is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2012
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 48 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    A diet is not going to do the trick. Actively practising any kind of is the best way to lose weight.

    I am breakdancing for 7 and a half years now and I am 18, 1,75m tall, 65kg and I can not gain weight even if I eat all kinds of ****. Doing sports makes your metabolism so fast that everything gets burned and you build up only muscles and no fat. But my metabolism is fast because started breakdancing since I was a kid.

    For older people combining a diet with a lot of vegetables, fruit, meals without many spices/salt, drinking a lot of fluids and exercising atleast 3-4 times a week will definitely make you lose weight and feel better/healthier.
    Best backgammon sites at OnlineBackgammon.Org.Uk

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to bboyspyder For This Useful Post:

    p.arena (30 August 2012)

  12. #8
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlotsAff View Post
    I go to the gym every 2nd day and play football 2/3 times a week.

    As for the gym, I do supersets to tone up and lose weight too.

    One thing I've noticed that drinking lots of water helps. It fills you up and keeps you hydrated so you can perform better in the gym/at sports etc.

    As for the gym, change your routine every couple of weeks and do different exercises to keep your body guessing. If you do the same exercises, your body will get used to it and won't benefit as much.
    thanks for the tips, I'm going to start getting a bottle of water on my work desk. When I get engrossed in work I always forget to drink water.

    Yeah I need to mix it up a bit with the exercises, I've been doing mostly situps, though I try and fit in 20-30 mins each night of Just Dance 3 with my wife on the Wii lol.

  13. #9
    thebookiesoffers is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    November 2009
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    3,225
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,009 Posts

    Default

    Been terrible this week but love hitting the gym, try and go 3 times a week. do 45 minutes on the cross trainer to keep the fat at bay then just over 2 hours of weights, mainly free weights and the cross fly machine. Want to get into boxing as well but im a little smaller for my weight than most so will be fighting blokes with a massive reach and size advantage, im 13st8lb so will be fighting at cruiserweight......ouch.

    if people want to find an excellent way to burn fat look online for 'russian kettlebells' I use them and they are brilliant for burning fat, and 1 minute bursts on the heavy boxing bag not only burns fat fast but gets rid of loads of tension

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to thebookiesoffers For This Useful Post:

    p.arena (30 August 2012)

  15. #10
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bboyspyder View Post
    I am breakdancing for 7 and a half years now and I am 18, 1,75m tall, 65kg and I can not gain weight even if I eat all kinds of ****. Doing sports makes your metabolism so fast that everything gets burned and you build up only muscles and no fat. But my metabolism is fast because started breakdancing since I was a kid.
    I was the same back in highschool, 6'1" (1.83m) and was under 70kg back in 12th grade, and used to play 2-3hrs of bball every day as well as weekend competitions. Could smash a buffet without gaining weight... those were the days hahah

  16. #11
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebookiesoffers View Post
    Been terrible this week but love hitting the gym, try and go 3 times a week. do 45 minutes on the cross trainer to keep the fat at bay then just over 2 hours of weights, mainly free weights and the cross fly machine. Want to get into boxing as well but im a little smaller for my weight than most so will be fighting blokes with a massive reach and size advantage, im 13st8lb so will be fighting at cruiserweight......ouch.

    if people want to find an excellent way to burn fat look online for 'russian kettlebells' I use them and they are brilliant for burning fat, and 1 minute bursts on the heavy boxing bag not only burns fat fast but gets rid of loads of tension
    Cheers, I'm going to try the kettlebells!



    A friend of mine has a massive rope and trains with it like a beast. I tried it out and my arms were killing for days. Basically you take each end of the rope in each hand and see how long you can flap the thing. The rope was massive and takes a lot out of your arms. Actually found a video of the type of exercise here:


  17. #12
    Maria F is offline No longer with Harbour Gaming Affiliates
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    2,406
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 337 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p.arena View Post
    depends how big it is :d

    lol

  18. #13
    Maria F is offline No longer with Harbour Gaming Affiliates
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    2,406
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 337 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    I don’t really believe in diets. I lost about 13 kilos in the past year, I think is better to lose weight gradually than losing it very fast and gaining it very fast.

    The way I have lost the weight and improve my health is by walking 2 hours a day, avoiding fry food (I grill all meat and fish). Also what has worked really well for me is eating my last meal before 18:00.

    I have at least one ice cream a week, I eat bread, chips and rice in moderation. I think the best way to lose weight is by changing your life style and try to avoid the thing that we all know are not good for us.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Maria F For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default

    13kg's, great job Maria

    That sounds like a sensible way to do it too. That's probably what I'll end up doing when I hit my target weight as well, just continue exercising, and not go overboard on the junkfood. Its hard doing the low carb sometimes when my apartment is opposite a 24hr mcdonalds and a KFC around the corner though.

    Pizza is the main one I miss.. I made a kind of low carb pizza the other day though. I bought these massive mushrooms and thinly sliced them for the white part and layed them out on a tray, covered with some low carb bolognese sauce, some herbs and a little bit of cheese. Was a nice substitute heheh plus I got some low carb bread mix off ebay, might try making a pizza base out of that next time.

  21. #15
    Maria F is offline No longer with Harbour Gaming Affiliates
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    2,406
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 337 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p.arena View Post
    13kg's, great job Maria

    That sounds like a sensible way to do it too. That's probably what I'll end up doing when I hit my target weight as well, just continue exercising, and not go overboard on the junkfood. Its hard doing the low carb sometimes when my apartment is opposite a 24hr mcdonalds and a KFC around the corner though.

    Pizza is the main one I miss.. I made a kind of low carb pizza the other day though. I bought these massive mushrooms and thinly sliced them for the white part and layed them out on a tray, covered with some low carb bolognese sauce, some herbs and a little bit of cheese. Was a nice substitute heheh plus I got some low carb bread mix off ebay, might try making a pizza base out of that next time.
    You have done a great job as well!

    That is the problem I find with diets, we should be able to eat everything at least one a month. I also eat pizza; otherwise I would really suffer if I was so restricted that I can't enjoy things I love.

    I tell you something else that really helped me. I saw a documentary where a chimp was put to a test, the chimp realized that the faster m&ms he collected from a feeding tube, he would then get less m&ms. The scientist gave the chimp a magazine and some other thing to pass the time and I was stunned when the chimp started to distract himself by reading the magazine, so I started doing the same thing. Every time I felt the urge to eat chocolate for example, I went for a walk (maybe that is why I walk for 2 hours a day LOL). Also I keep a close watch on my weight, if I see that I put on a 100 grams then I do something about immediately. But the best advice I can give you is to stop eating late, try it for a week and let me know how it goes.

  22. #16
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default

    really? wow.. pretty amazing that the chimp worked that out.
    Yeah I'll try that too with the earlier meals, cheers

  23. #17
    Gabriel_LCP's Avatar
    Gabriel_LCP is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Posts
    1,514
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 303 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    That rope exercise looks like a tough one!!

    Ive been doing an Insanity workout because I'm trying to get in shape to start CrossFit.

    I here its a great workout... but that Insanity is crazy, I don't think Ive ever sweated so much in my life.

  24. #18
    Smoking's Avatar
    Smoking is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    720
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked 157 Times in 136 Posts

    Default

    I been doing cardio exercises and working with some weights

    have not really lost weight but am getting toner

    mostly I do treadmills, exercise bike, elipical,stairmasters and even a rowing machine for about 40 minutes 5-6 times a week


    Bet Source for Casino Affiliates
    Visit BubbleProtection.com Now
    Post a quality gambling related article in http://www.gamblingshares.com the up and coming Premier Gambling Article Site

  25. #19
    iGamingWriter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    751
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bboyspyder View Post
    Doing sports makes your metabolism so fast that everything gets burned and you build up only muscles and no fat. But my metabolism is fast because started breakdancing since I was a kid.
    I was a competitive swimmer when i was younger and was just the same. Hit 30 and suddenly the metabolism doesn't quite cover eating whatever i want any more.

    I've actually been trying to slim down a little recently - i swim 1.5k 3-4 time a week, but i've upped that to 5-6 times. Alongside that i've cut down what i'm eating - when i get back from my swim i eat a bowl of fruit (a couple of satsumas, a plum, some grapes, raspberries and blueberries), for lunch i eat a couple of slices of toast and i've cut my portions at dinner down by about a third. In the last week an a half i've lost 1 pound/day which i'm pretty happy with.
    iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.

    BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.

  26. #20
    thebookiesoffers is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    November 2009
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    3,225
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,009 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel_LCP View Post
    That rope exercise looks like a tough one!!

    Ive been doing an Insanity workout because I'm trying to get in shape to start CrossFit.

    I here its a great workout... but that Insanity is crazy, I don't think Ive ever sweated so much in my life.
    I've got a copy of that insanity workout, looks proper mental, not done it yet but will be trying soon

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •