Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: what browser?

  1. #1
    rob3786 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    373
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts

    Default what browser?

    What browser do you use to test your site?
    Jackpot Avenue- www.jackpotavenue.com

  2. #2
    aksana's Avatar
    aksana is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,361
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 261 Times in 196 Posts

    Default

    FireFox, Opera, Netscape - usually I have no problems with them
    Internet Explorer 5.0, Internet Explorer 5.5,Internet Explorer 6.0- there are a lot of bugs in those browsers, so I have a lot of problems with them, of course I find solutions for them.
    Internet Explorer 7.0 - it's better tnan its previous versions, but it's also necessary to test the site.

  3. #3
    Deaddog's Avatar
    Deaddog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2004
    Location
    Norge
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Firefox and IE. I alway do the first test in firefox, this is my default browser. When I get things just like I want, I test in IE. Then I fix.

  4. #4
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,264
    Thanks
    1,952
    Thanked 4,212 Times in 2,004 Posts

    Default

    MS IE - like over 88% of my visitors.


    I also have firefox - but unless it's completely screwed I don't bother about repairs.

  5. #5
    AussieDave's Avatar
    AussieDave is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Location
    from the land downunder
    Posts
    4,062
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,682
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default

    OS stats:

    Windows 88 %
    Unknown 10.4 %
    Macintosh 1.4 %


    Browser stats:

    IE 52.4 %
    Firefox 37.0 %
    Unknown 10.1 %
    Nokia Browser 0.1 %
    Mozilla 0.1 %


    This is an average taken from 4 sites:
    2x gambling portals
    1x web dev company
    1x gambling content

    I think it represents a fair cross section. I've always developed for IE first, then worried about Firefox. Though, everyone tells me to do the opposite. Never been one to march to the same drum as others



    Cheers



    Dave
    ---
    Compliance: a code word for control

    ---
    Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. It's called integrity.
    ---

    It's your right to be treated honestly: fairness for all igaming affiliates - doch.news

  6. #6
    Webzcas's Avatar
    Webzcas is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    1,394
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 408 Posts

    Default

    IE period. My sites are developed with Internet Explorer in mind. Although they should be ok on Firefox, IE is still by far the most popular browser. Also IE7 is a vast improvement on IE6 and imo is actually better than Firefox.
    Exit stage left

  7. #7
    aksana's Avatar
    aksana is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,361
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 261 Times in 196 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webzcas View Post
    IE period. My sites are developed with Internet Explorer in mind. Although they should be ok on Firefox, IE is still by far the most popular browser. Also IE7 is a vast improvement on IE6 and imo is actually better than Firefox.
    Sorry, but IE even IE7 will never be better than FireFox. I tested IE7 and I'm not satisfied with it, it's very slow and there are a lot of bugs as usual. But agree that IE is the most popular browser because it's embedded to Windows

  8. #8
    Webzcas's Avatar
    Webzcas is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    1,394
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 408 Posts

    Default

    The problem I have with Firefox is that it loads the page bit by bit. Seems very clunky to me. Personal preference, but IE7 with Vista as the OS seems very smooth and touch wood, I have not encountered many probs with it as of yet.

    Also as you say, IE is the most popular browser hence my sites are designed with that in mind. Unless there are major flaws when viewing them with Firefox, I don't fix the problems.
    Exit stage left

  9. #9
    Fergie's Avatar
    Fergie is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 165 Times in 96 Posts

    Default

    I use firefox almost exclusively.

    I don't really have any reason why I prefer it; just seems the geeky thing to do.

    I do check my sites in IE and firefox, and at different resolutions, though.

  10. #10
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,264
    Thanks
    1,952
    Thanked 4,212 Times in 2,004 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
    I use firefox almost exclusively.

    I don't really have any reason why I prefer it; just seems the geeky thing to do. .
    Fergie the geek ?
    That's an association that I would never have made ...


    But I'll agree - most Firefox users seem to run it because they think that it's cool.

    Firefox is like LINUX and MACs ... the zealots love it - but for emotion reasons (usually anti-microsoft) and the rest of us simply don't get why paying more money - or using minority products - is worth the affected "I'm a rebel" pose.


    I'd consider using firefox more if it had the "true type" font facility that IE 7.0 has ... that one feature makes websites much easier to browse and read.

  11. #11
    Fergie's Avatar
    Fergie is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 165 Times in 96 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    ... and the rest of us simply don't get why paying more money - or using minority products - is worth the affected "I'm a rebel" pose.
    Firefox is free...
    It's more secure simply because it is a minority product - therefore hackers don't tend to bother finding vulnerabilities in it to exploit. They focus on IE. That is one reason that I use it. Another reason is it is less tolerant of errors in html/css. Many sites that appear fine in IE don't display properly in firefox. Look at it as a rudimentary 'spellcheck' for html.

    Also, firefox has addons and extensions that IE doesn't have that are useful for web publishers.

  12. #12
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,264
    Thanks
    1,952
    Thanked 4,212 Times in 2,004 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
    It's more secure simply because it is a minority product
    Security through obscurity? Yeah - that'll work for a month or two then - uh-oh.


    (my past life as an It manager cut in there - sorry)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
    Also, firefox has addons and extensions that IE doesn't have that are useful for web publishers.
    But this would be interesting - I've got firebox on my PC so its no biggie to look at that - what "add-ons and extentions" do you find useful ?

  13. #13
    jagan is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2006
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Firefox is best!
    Jagan
    ON Page SEO, Content Creation, Blogger Outreach and Brand Building Services
    Send me PM

  14. #14
    Fergie's Avatar
    Fergie is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 165 Times in 96 Posts

    Default

    Glad you asked, Paul!

    There are dozens and dozens of add-ons. I only use a handful, my favourites being the html and css validators and the css editor. Others I like are the link counter, IE Viewer and I'm thinking of trying out "Save as Image".

  15. #15
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,065
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,631
    Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    There is a great addon for firefox called the web developer addon.
    I think it's very useful for webmasters and you can download it here:

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

  16. #16
    AussieDave's Avatar
    AussieDave is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Location
    from the land downunder
    Posts
    4,062
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,682
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default



    Renee,

    That's one kick #ss script, thanks for posting the link



    Cheers



    Dave
    ---
    Compliance: a code word for control

    ---
    Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. It's called integrity.
    ---

    It's your right to be treated honestly: fairness for all igaming affiliates - doch.news

  17. #17
    Fergie's Avatar
    Fergie is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 165 Times in 96 Posts

    Default

    Thanks, Renee. I'll give that one a try.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •