Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,920
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,278 Posts

    Default Where do you live?

    Hi All,

    As a follow on from the "what are you wearing" thread, I thought it would be fun to find out where people live, like in a flat, apartment, condo, house...yeah you get the idea.

    Maybe tell us a bit about the city/town you live in too.

    ---------

    We live in a renovated single terrace, in a leafy suburb about 3km from the centre of Adelaide. The house was originally built in 1890 and still has some of its old world charms like fireplaces, ornate lead-light windows surrounding the main front door, polished floor boards and 12 foot high ceilings.

    The door frame to the original back door & its step remains (though it now connects to the bathroom, laundry and new rear door). The original step with its clearly worn concave has me often pondering who's walked over that step in the last 120 years - things like that amaze me!

    Adelaide is known as the city of churches and it's the capital of South Australia. With a population of about 1.28 mil, it's always been more like a BIG country town than a city per se. Adelaide is more suited to families and offers a relaxed lifestyle. Try getting a bite to eat out after 9pm during the week and you'll get the idea. Unlike the faster paced Melbourne or Sydney with its cosmopolitan atmosphere, side walk cafe...ect...ect

    For those who follow Formula one, the 1985 return to Australia of F1 was held in Adelaide from 1985 to 1995, when it then moved to Melbourne.



    Cheers



    Dave

  2. #2
    Topboss is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2002
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,407
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 475 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Your house sounds really nice Dave and I have actually learnt something about Adelaide that I did not know before. Thanks!

    Mine is a bit of a funny story as I am actually based in 2 countries - South Africa and New Zealand

    9 months of the year I live in Johannesburg South Africa about 25 minutes drive away from the City Centre in a nice suburb called RandPark Ridge
    My house is a double storey house with an 8 foot wall and electrified fence around it ( This is common in Johannesburg due to the crime )

    The rest of the year I live in a smaller house in a place called Gulf Harbour were many people moor their boats which is about 30 minutes North of Auckland in New Zealand.
    Its a beautiful seaside town and is on a small stretch of land leading into the sea - For example if you drive down our main road - you have sea on either side of the road.

    The problem is that I love both countries so much that I cannot make up my mind which one to live in permanently. My plan is to retire in New Zealand.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Topboss For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  4. #3
    thepokerkeep's Avatar
    thepokerkeep is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    London Canada
    Posts
    2,886
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 799 Posts

    Default

    We're based in Canada - London, Ontario to be precise. We live in a high rise condo with a beautiful view to the south and west. London has a population of 350,000 and is home to the University of Western Ontario.

    We have a Major Junior A hockey team, the London Knights, so London also has a great Arena/events center (JLC) where they host major concerts and stuff. The Tim Horton's Briar (curling) is being hosted at the JLC in March. Dale and I are hoping to take in at least a few matches.

    London boasts two large shopping malls plus all the big box stores, great restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. I've grown to love it here, everything is so convenient, a couple blocks to do the shopping, banking, beer, liquor, coffee shop...

    Prior to moving here, we lived in a century home on 100 acres just outside of Guelph. The house had tin ceilings, pine floors, plaster walls... it was a perfect setting for raising our family and operating our antiques business. We miss the house and the country setting but not the heating and snow removal bills.
    Terry - The Pokerkeep
    President / CEO - Gambling Affiliates Union

    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Affiliate Resources
    Gambling Affiliate Program Blacklist

    Email: admin @ thepokerkeep.com



  5. The Following User Says Thank You to thepokerkeep For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  6. #4
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    We live in london - just about to move into a new flat in Earls Court.

    London can be expensive but I love the fact that there's so much going on!
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  8. #5
    mojo's Avatar
    mojo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    4,985
    Thanks
    1,933
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,223 Posts

    Default

    I live on the coast in Massachusetts. The beach is about a mile away. I'd love to get closer and be able to always hear the waves, but maybe next year lol.

    I bought my house about ten years ago. One of my prouder moments because I bought it all by myself (after a breakup). I worked really hard for it. Nothing fancy but it's just right for us. The value has gone up too. This is a real tourist area.

    Casino City is about an hour or so away.

    I've lived other places but I always end up back in this area. I grew up on a close by Island that will always be home and I visit from time to time.

    Not very exciting but home doesnt have to be.

    Nice thread Dave!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  10. #6
    GamTrak's Avatar
    GamTrak is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,261
    Thanks
    1,678
    Thanked 890 Times in 629 Posts

    Default

    We live in Denver, CO about 10 miles south of Denver International Airport. Our home was newly built and we picked that area because I was always traveling somewhere and each time we parked our car at the lot (across from the area) and shuttle to DIA we would say how nice it would be to live across the street.

    At the time we had moved to the Dominican Republic right when UIGEA was implemented and after 3 months came back for a 2 week visit. After getting a flyer advertising a great mortgage rate at our (old apartment) and we qualified for over 300K so bought the house, went back to the DR and gave everything but my office equibment away and moved back to Denver. The house is way to big for just two folks though.

    I loved the DR (hubby loved drooling over the women), but the lack of infrustructure took it's toll on me very quickly. We lived near Caberete and some days we would come home to no power (we had a generator), no internet (had to run a long cable from neighbor 2 houses over), ABC & CBS not available (no soaps) and the kicker was that the showers were mostly in cold water! Everything else was heaven! BTW They have no mail system and no street signs & they all spoke Spanish which I knew 4 words. There are a few stop lights though.

    I moved to Denver in the 1989 and fell in love with the Rocky Mountains. I would drive up to Lookout mountain (40 minutes away) several times a weeks just to unwind from working in corporate america. You have the change of seasons and many different cultures all mixed in one spot and it's great.
    Last edited by GamTrak; 29 October 2010 at 9:13 am.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to GamTrak For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  12. #7
    wagerjunction's Avatar
    wagerjunction is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2004
    Location
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 273 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    I live on the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean

    Things are still pretty traditional here so hubby & I live in a large 18 room house with his mom, dad, grandma, brother, sister, our son and 2 dogs...

    Mauritius is a lovely place to live in with the sun shining almost all year round, sandy beaches and warm lagoons. We are a multicultural country, having belonged to the Dutch, French and English respectively and having had slaves brough from Africa and labourers brought from India.

    If anyone is thinking about a holiday anytime soon, I strongly urge you to come visit my country.


    Cheers
    Amy

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to wagerjunction For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  14. #8
    patmcluk's Avatar
    patmcluk is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    377
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagerjunction View Post
    I live on the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean

    Things are still pretty traditional here so hubby & I live in a large 18 room house with his mom, dad, grandma, brother, sister, our son and 2 dogs...

    Mauritius is a lovely place to live in with the sun shining almost all year round, sandy beaches and warm lagoons. We are a multicultural country, having belonged to the Dutch, French and English respectively and having had slaves brough from Africa and labourers brought from India.

    If anyone is thinking about a holiday anytime soon, I strongly urge you to come visit my country.


    Cheers
    Amy
    Wow Amy that sounds exactly where i would like to be!
    We have just moved from freezing cold Yorkshire in the north of England, to a small villa 100 yards from the beach in the south of Spain. What a difference!

    I spent 3 months in Koh Phagnan Thailand and i just love tropical weather, but with two kids under three we have to stay in Europe for now....
    Just Arsenal News (2.5 million PVs per month)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to patmcluk For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  16. #9
    LuckyLizzy's Avatar
    LuckyLizzy is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 50 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    I live in Orlando, Florida about a mile south of the Orlando International Airport in a 4 bedroom home that needs lots of work.

    The planes go over our neighborhood constantly which actually kind of scares me. I have lived here all my life and am used to it even though some would be annoyed by the constant roaring of planes. There is always something to do here and anything I need is just about 5 minutes away from home. It isn't very pretty here though nor is it a place where you can let your kids play outside which stinks.

    We do have some pretty awesome attractions to go to and they give discounts for residents! To name a few we have Disney World, Sea World, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens (an hour drive), WetNWild, Aquatica, The
    Fun Spot and Discovery Cove. This place is home to me and even though I know there are way better places to live, it's what I know.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyLizzy For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  18. #10
    LuckyLizzy's Avatar
    LuckyLizzy is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 50 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GamTrak View Post
    the kicker was that the showers were mostly in cold water!
    This is a major factor for me as well. I once visited my husband's family for over 5 months with no hot water to take showers or bubble baths. It was the worst 5 months of my life! I just have to have a nice warm bath or shower at the end of a long day. Plus I hyperventilate very easily when I get in cold water. We ended up boiling water on the stove and pouring it into the cold water to make it warm. It worked but it took so long lol.

  19. #11
    Gabriel_LCP's Avatar
    Gabriel_LCP is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Posts
    1,514
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 303 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    I live in San Jose, Costa Rica. I'm living in an apartment with my younger brother! Its pretty laid back around here, right now we are in rainy season so its raining pretty consistently in the afternoons! But soon it will be December and it will be too hot too handle!
    I have a great view from my window, I get to see the sunsets everyday from my couch! Other than that is a pretty ordinary little apartment!

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel_LCP For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  21. #12
    jarvi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    3,333
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 448 Times in 282 Posts

    Default

    I haven't lived in my own home since May 2009. So living conditions for me have varied from hotel rooms 36 stories up to three bedroom houses to apartments ten metres from the beach to couches in friend's living rooms. I think you can probably guess which ones I enjoy the most.

    Dave, Adelaide is a great place, especially to ride bikes because it's nice and flat until you hit the surrounding hills. I did the wet 89(?) Grand Prix. Still a lot of fun.

    Amy, I'd love to visit Mauritius. What is the infrastructure like there? I agree with Robin about things getting frustrating when they don't work. I had that problem in Mexico and the Caribbean. I can tolerate it for a week's holiday, just not when trying to live and work.

    I loved the few days I spent in Denver. Clear air and an outdoors culture. I was there in September so it was still reasonably warm. Need to get back there and explore a bit more as I really saw just the downtown and Cherry Creek areas and a quick trip out to Pikes Peak.

    Heather, at least you have narrowed your choices down. I have no idea. Most places I like are too cold and need to get the James Bond type character to move an island a bit closer to the equator. Or I just have to work a bit more and buy properties out towards Kahala/Diamond Head/Lanikai/Sunset Beach that I have my eye on. Think I prefer the James Bond method though.
    James

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jarvi For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  23. #13
    ukpoker is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2009
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    I live in Milton Keynes, UK, about 45 minutes north of London.

    I live in a 3 bed detached house in a corner of a small road next door to high trees with a windmill one side and a canal on the other side, its really nice and quite. The house is about 15 years old and we are slowly adding to it.

    Milton Keynes is a newish place was born on 23 January 1967. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes

    http://www.mkweb.co.uk/

    Milton Keynes has the longest Shopping Centre (mall) in Europe http://www.thecentremk.com/
    www.bingo-players.com - Bingo Reviews.
    UKPoker.co - Poker Advice - Casino, Poker & Betting Information.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to ukpoker For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  25. #14
    Nandakishore's Avatar
    Nandakishore is offline In Memorium, 1935-2014
    Join Date
    December 2006
    Location
    In Germany near Munich
    Posts
    2,104
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    931
    Thanked 496 Times in 367 Posts

    Default

    I live with my wife in a 4-room apartment in a town 30 minutes drive from Munich. This town, Wolfratshausen, has a huge population of 15000We shifted to this town from Munich 36 years back after visiting this place one afternoon. We were overwhelmed standing next to a river looking at the Alps which are just 20 minutes drive from here. It is nice to live near Munich, but never again in a big city, although I had lived all my life in big cities - Calcutta, Delhi, London, Munich. By the way, baldidiot I lived for one year in Earls Court around 1960. A lovely part of London.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Nandakishore For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  27. #15
    pompeyrayuk's Avatar
    pompeyrayuk is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth England
    Posts
    967
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 253 Times in 194 Posts

    Default

    4 bedroom rented terrace house in Portsmouth England.

    Home of the Royal Navy,birth place of Charles Dickens and the final berths of HMS Victory HMS Warrior and the Mary Rose

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to pompeyrayuk For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (29 October 2010)

  29. #16
    Chips's Avatar
    Chips is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    3,618
    Thanks
    1,040
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    Many of you already know my score... We are in a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath house that overlooks a lake. Elevation is around 3922 ft so sunny days and cools nights are in order. Just moved in on the 19th of this month to Brevard NC.

    http://brevardnc.org/ will show some of the town that is about 10 miles to the north (and 900 ft lower than us).

    Yes, I am in heaven here! Smack dab in the "Land of Waterfalls". Leaving in a few for the annual Halloween Festival in town (we live in Transylvania County)
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chips For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (31 October 2010)

  31. #17
    casinolatte's Avatar
    casinolatte is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2007
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts

    Default Thunder Bay

    I live in thunder bay onatrio were the winters are so cold and the snow is outrageous that I really wish to move back to southren ontario or better yet in florida. lol. We have three bedroom house with two rooms also in the basement. I just finished redecorating my living room hallway, My daughters room and kitchen and I must say it looks awsome. The two younger boys room will be done for christmas. I am waiting for the two older boys to move out before I start on the basement. It will take alot of work for the two older boys are 20 and 18 so you can imagine the work that needs to be done.
    CasinoLatte A Whole Latte Fun!

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to casinolatte For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (31 October 2010)

  33. #18
    gillamano's Avatar
    gillamano is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    I live in a 2 bedroom house in South East London Surrey. Nothing exciting goes on here.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to gillamano For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (31 October 2010)

  35. #19
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    I'm living in a 2 bedroom apartment in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. The area itself is quite ghetto but we live directly across the road from the supermarket and a small shopping centre so it's quite convenient.

    Did I mention it's only a 20 minute drive to work?

    I lived 100km south of Sydney my entire life until 6 months ago and was commuting for the last 5 years which took me almost 2 hours to and from work each day. Worked it out that I spent 308 days in my car since 2005. So living in the ghetto really beats living in my car

    There are a few things that are huge negatives for me living here:

    No bbqs allowed in our apartment block - BS I know. How can you be in Oz and NOT have a bbq. I think it's because the area is quite ethnic - the type of ethnic that don't use bbqs.

    No Foxtel. This means we can't watch football etc which SUX.

    No pets. We really want to get some cats but we're gonna have to wait til we move somewhere else (or buy our own place).

    I've started to notice the last 2 days when we had our windows and balcony door open that the sound of the airplanes flying over is actually quite loud. I never noticed the sound up until now.. (The Airport is just down the road)

    Although it's not a huge downside, I'm living further from the beach now than I ever have in my life. When I was living down south I was within 5 mins drive of the beach, could even smell it when I went outside my house. Now I'm at least 10-15 mins from the beach. Not a huge distance but can't smell the beach anymore..
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (2 November 2010)

  37. #20
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    No pets. We really want to get some cats but we're gonna have to wait til we move somewhere else (or buy our own place).
    I have 6 of them... u want one? hahaha!!! Actually I could never part with any of them to be honest. I would live in a carboard box if i had to with them.

    Im looking for a house to live in the Toronto area - although I would rather move to Guelph - but the lady won't go for it. Sigh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •