Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    mobilejackpots is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default "Casino" versus "Casinos" keyword...

    I'm in the middle of negotiating a price for a couple of domain names. For arguments sake lets say the 2 domains are "online-casino.org.uk" and "online-casinos.org.uk".

    So the only difference is the plural or singular form of casino.

    What I don't know is which domain should be valued higher?

    From an affiliate perspective, which keyword is most lucrative? Online Casino or Online Casinos?

    The Google keywords tool shows that "online casino" has 4 times as much volume as the plural.

    But which converts best?

    Any input appreciated...

  2. #2
    davemerry's Avatar
    davemerry is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 230 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    This is an issue that I have experienced myself as an affiliate, and to be honest I don't think there is a 100% conclusive answer.

    Google is clever enough to know a plural, and some think that because of this it has the same ranking power as the singular version for the singular version of the keyword. One look at the top ten for a search term suggests that singulars still dominate however so maybe they are wrong.

    From a conversion side, the plural will convert better - there looking for a choice of casinos, rather than a singular place to play. But then again - is the extra little bit of conversion worth potentially targetting four times less search volume?

    Probably not. I would go for the singular to be on the safe side for years to come.

    Sorry I can't be more conclusive - just giving my opinion

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to davemerry For This Useful Post:

    FictionNet (25 June 2011)

  4. #3
    mobilejackpots is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    But would you expect onlinecasino.co.uk to be valued at 4 times as much as onlinecasinos.co.uk?

  5. #4
    davemerry's Avatar
    davemerry is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 230 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Probably not 4 times as much, although I would expect it to be worth at least double.

    onlinecasinos.co.uk has brandability, onlinecasino.co.uk has brandability and direct search volume - which IMO is invaluable in the long term when trying to build a lasting site.

    If I was in your dilema I would probably try and get a deal on them both

  6. #5
    mobilejackpots is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    hmm. I was just about to seal the deal on the plural domain... I'm not so sure now.

    The only the problem is the owner of the plural domain is co-operating and is ready to sell but the owner of the singular is being more tricky.

  7. #6
    jackten's Avatar
    jackten is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Just one important thing to remember:

    The "4x more clicks" isn't from [exact] search. From exact searches, online casino gets 5x more clicks.

    But you really don't know for sure what a guy typing "online casino" or "online casinos" is looking for. Most of the searches come from broad keyword search anyway, so I would go with online casino, since it's searched 4x more.

  8. #7
    mobilejackpots is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Ok, this has given me something to think about.

    The offer I made for the plural domain is all I want to pay really.

  9. #8
    Simmo! is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Posts
    893
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 406 Times in 226 Posts

    Default

    Also worth looking at who dominates the SERPS for each term. If you are up against big brands with plenty of cash that may limit where you can get to.

  10. #9
    davenewgates's Avatar
    davenewgates is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    Over the Web
    Posts
    351
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    Since the keyword online casino has a higher search volume, expect a very tight competition. Plus, major gaming websites, particularly 888.com and onlinecasino.com, dominate the searches so it's really a tough competition.

  11. #10
    jackten's Avatar
    jackten is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davenewgates View Post
    Since the keyword online casino has a higher search volume, expect a very tight competition. Plus, major gaming websites, particularly 888.com and onlinecasino.com, dominate the searches so it's really a tough competition.
    That is only for exact searches though.

    For long tail keywords (broad search), you would have an edge over the competition.

  12. #11
    graham's Avatar
    graham is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Posts
    417
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 67 Times in 54 Posts

    Default

    If I am deciding between the 2, typically I will do the plural, but also include the signular throughout the page and try to get the page to rank for both. For a site, again, if it were my choice I would probably want the plural over the singular because I think it just sounds better and you can go after both terms.

  13. #12
    Lee-Ann is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    I'd go for plural - as you would want to put a choice of casino's up on the site to effectively monetize it and if the URL says what it is it goes a long way to help you with seo ranking.

  14. #13
    mobilejackpots is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    OK, I have some thinking to do. Some mixed opinions.

  15. #14
    abhinavarora is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    The exact keyword that is online casino is more worth than online casinos...as it has 4 times extra searches than the substitute..

  16. #15
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,978
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    Well since you bumped a 2 year old discussion, this had more to do with the keyword usage in the domain name then the keywords themselves.

    And since the exact match update a while back, I think that even though there might be 4 times as many searches for the keywords, the domain without the s is not worth 4 times the none s one, and in fact the one WITH the "s" might be worth more....but likely not 4 times more.

    Rick
    Universal4

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    abhinavarora (2 July 2013)

  18. #16
    casinovegas is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Posts
    467
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    I would say plural as well, as then you capture both casino and casinos if that makes sense.

  19. #17
    AE-Martyn is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    March 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,050
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    637
    Thanked 763 Times in 434 Posts

    Default

    I wonder which one they went for in the end?

  20. #18
    londonergun is offline New Member
    Join Date
    July 2013
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I would go for casino as people look for one casino

  21. #19
    graham's Avatar
    graham is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Posts
    417
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 67 Times in 54 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mobilejackpots View Post
    But would you expect onlinecasino.co.uk to be valued at 4 times as much as onlinecasinos.co.uk?
    No.. IMO they carry a pretty similar value

  22. #20
    GaryTheScubaGuy's Avatar
    GaryTheScubaGuy is offline In Memorium, 1966-2018
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    745
    Blog Entries
    22
    Thanks
    223
    Thanked 430 Times in 205 Posts

    Default

    The days of domain branding any piggy-backing hollywood terms are over unless you are cash-rich.

    KW's in URL are worth nothing for one reason; Google has changed? No. They are all taken unless you intend on branding it. If you brand it and work for a year or two on the brand it might make a difference, but don't expect to rank for anything other than your brand.

    You are debating something that made sense 5 years ago but unfortunately not today. Pick the worst url you can think of and it could rank top 100 for any casino term in 90 days.

    GaryTheScubaGuy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •