View Poll Results: In light of the recent coronavirus are you taking any special precautions?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • No additional precautions

    14 25.00%
  • Minimize contact with others, large crowds

    26 46.43%
  • Wash hands more frequently

    29 51.79%
  • Clean and disinfect objects, example mobile phone

    17 30.36%
  • Wear facemask

    6 10.71%
  • Wear gloves on public transport

    4 7.14%
  • Drink more alcohol and hope it helps

    8 14.29%
  • Something Else (please explain in a post)

    1 1.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 171
  1. #21
    Nenad is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2019
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 155 Times in 128 Posts

    Default

    I can see that in Italy some stores are empty. It seems that people are panicking. Panic can just make things worse.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nenad For This Useful Post:

    drifter8 (2 March 2020)

  3. #22
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,566
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nenad View Post
    Even a " normal flu" is not easy to cope with! I have that nasty experience.
    But somehow I think this is something that is slightly different than the normal flu.
    "just the normal flu" ?? Between 15,000 to 30,000 Americans die each year from "just the normal flu".
    The estimates are that "the normal flu" kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year.
    Source : https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...iclekey=208914

    But the flu only kills around 0.1% (1 in 1,000) of the people it infects these days, as it's only really lethal to people with other health issues or very low immune systems now.

    The Coronavirus is new so it has many variants/strains and many strengths - but over a short period the virus strains that actually kill their host quickly will diminish (dead people don't spread the disease so much) while the variants that just make people feel ill but not so bad so that the people keep moving and spreading the disease will prosper.

    This diminishing kill rate of surviving diseases is a well-known vector as the evolution of viruses is much faster due to the "life-cycle".

    By the end of this year the Coronavirus will be everywhere - it won't be "contained" - and it will be just another treatable illness like the common flu, especially if a vaccine and treatments are available, as the death rate will become similar to flu in Western countries that have access to medicines.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    drifter8 (2 March 2020), Nenad (1 March 2020), Renee (2 March 2020), sweetbet (7 March 2020)

  5. #23
    Christiaan's Avatar
    Christiaan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    1,279
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 486 Times in 336 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface View Post
    Certainly stepping up the precautions to be more careful/diligent. Interesting all stores are sold out of hand sanitizers. Even online difficult to find.

    Things will be getting much worse before seeing any improvements.
    And they make the prices way higher for hand sanitizers and mouth masks. (not that I buy them myself)

  6. #24
    Nenad is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2019
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 155 Times in 128 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    "just the normal flu" ?? Between 15,000 to 30,000 Americans die each year from "just the normal flu".
    The estimates are that "the normal flu" kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year.
    Source : https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...iclekey=208914

    But the flu only kills around 0.1% (1 in 1,000) of the people it infects these days, as it's only really lethal to people with other health issues or very low immune systems now.

    The Coronavirus is new so it has many variants/strains and many strengths - but over a short period the virus strains that actually kill their host quickly will diminish (dead people don't spread the disease so much) while the variants that just make people feel ill but not so bad so that the people keep moving and spreading the disease will prosper.

    This diminishing kill rate of surviving diseases is a well-known vector as the evolution of viruses is much faster due to the "life-cycle".

    By the end of this year the Coronavirus will be everywhere - it won't be "contained" - and it will be just another treatable illness like the common flu, especially if a vaccine and treatments are available, as the death rate will become similar to flu in Western countries that have access to medicines.
    You are right, that's why I wrote "normal flu".

  7. #25
    golfbettingsystem's Avatar
    golfbettingsystem is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,002
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 437 Times in 306 Posts

    Default

    Interesting analysis here from the BBC, estimating the mortality late at around 1% so around 10x more potent than normal flu at present: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743

  8. #26
    falseadoom is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2015
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

  9. #27
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,566
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,177 Posts

  10. #28
    JamieG1981's Avatar
    JamieG1981 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2017
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    260
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 138 Times in 90 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by golfbettingsystem View Post
    Interesting analysis here from the BBC, estimating the mortality late at around 1% so around 10x more potent than normal flu at present: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743
    Almost all deaths are people with underlying conditions, take them out the mortality rate drops to almost nothing. Also most deaths in China where I can't imagine the healthcare/treatment was up to much.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  11. #29
    golfbettingsystem's Avatar
    golfbettingsystem is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,002
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 437 Times in 306 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamieG1981 View Post
    Almost all deaths are people with underlying conditions, take them out the mortality rate drops to almost nothing. Also most deaths in China where I can't imagine the healthcare/treatment was up to much.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Sound like there’s a fair amount of panic - as you say, all need to be taken in context. According to the UK government 80% of us will get it 20% off work at the same time at its peak: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51716375

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to golfbettingsystem For This Useful Post:

    JamieG1981 (3 March 2020)

  13. #30
    carl2603GL is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2020
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    I have read through the above posts and I read the mention of a face mask. I think its worth adding that face masks do not prevent u getting the diseases, they just prevent u giving it to others unless its an N-95 face mask. The standard masks that dentists wear are no good as you still breathe in contaminated air from the sides of the mask.

    We are taking some precautions at work since here is where we spend most of our day and stay in contact with lots of people - door are left open to minimize touching, we have sanitizes everywhere and we dont use our finger scan to enter the building for the time being. I think these are basic precautions that don't require too much effort but can go a long way.

  14. #31
    The Buzz's Avatar
    The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,484
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,270 Posts

    Default

    In case you missed today's press release:

    G2E Asia postpones 2020 show due to coronavirus disease outbreak
    The event originally set for 19-21 May will now be scheduled for 28-30 July 28-30, 2020 at the Venetian Macao.

    https://www.gpwa.org/article/g2e-asi...utbreak-233685

  15. #32
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Bella Italia
    Posts
    1,904
    Thanks
    614
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 768 Posts

    Default

    2 month will change nothing imo ... what about Sigma Manila in June? Actually I was up for but not under that circumstances.

  16. #33
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,920
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,278 Posts

  17. #34
    golfbettingsystem's Avatar
    golfbettingsystem is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,002
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 437 Times in 306 Posts

    Default

    New Bond film put back to November on Coronavirus fears: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to golfbettingsystem For This Useful Post:

    allaboutthebets (4 March 2020)

  19. #35
    allaboutthebets's Avatar
    allaboutthebets is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2017
    Posts
    940
    Thanks
    905
    Thanked 420 Times in 304 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by golfbettingsystem View Post
    New Bond film put back to November on Coronavirus fears: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374
    Wounder. Was looking forward to this one too

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to allaboutthebets For This Useful Post:

    golfbettingsystem (4 March 2020)

  21. #36
    Buddy M's Avatar
    Buddy M is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Location
    TV Land
    Posts
    324
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 68 Times in 48 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaftDog View Post
    With Mike Pence in charge of handling the virus in the USA you left praying off the list.
    Hey, we might all get lucky with Bernie Sanders and be on Medicare for all; Speaking from someone who is on Medicare, you dont wanna be on it!

    Other than that I stopped shaking hands. I use to hate the fist bump, but as of late I embrassed it.

  22. #37
    Buddy M's Avatar
    Buddy M is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Location
    TV Land
    Posts
    324
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 68 Times in 48 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nenad View Post
    I can see that in Italy some stores are empty. It seems that people are panicking. Panic can just make things worse.
    I still have some family in Italy and they arent freakin out, but they did say how empty the shelves are and how some people are really in a panic. My niece said you can feel the panic when you walk out the door.

  23. #38
    Buddy M's Avatar
    Buddy M is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Location
    TV Land
    Posts
    324
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 68 Times in 48 Posts

    Default

    I agree 100%. Its gonna be like the flu, next year ppl will be asking "did you get the Crown shot yet?"
    I do think its serious however and I'd be lieing if I said I never think about it. I have a cruise coming up and I am starting to seriously concider not going; I'll be loosing some coinage, but Im still thinking of not going. I hope all of you stay safe and healthy.

  24. #39
    carl2603GL is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2020
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Viral seasonality

    hey there well I have a holiday planned next month and not sure I am going to cancel it - and its a holiday to Tuscany which is the Epicentre of the virus in Europe . Tuscany is located in central Italy so I am hoping that [although the virus has not yet been reported in this region] the warmer weathers which April will bring will see the virus dwindle. Fingers crossed that this corona virus will follow the seasonal trends of other corona viruses [the common flu is also a corono virus] . Anyways I was reading this which u can find online on National Geo : Will warming spring temperatures slow the coronavirus outbreak?

  25. #40
    GPWA Maria's Avatar
    GPWA Maria is offline In Memoriam, 1970-2022
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Posts
    3,243
    Thanks
    1,099
    Thanked 458 Times in 319 Posts

    Default

    Hey Karl,

    I know a holiday is important and takes a lot of effort and planning. If I were you, I would cancel it. The vaccine for this virus will be available a year from now or maybe later.
    The first case of Covid-19 ( yesterday) in Chile was from a guy that just visited Italy, now the whole region is in danger of getting the virus. So I think the risk is not only a personal one, but there is a big risk to others too.
    Feature your Affiliate Program with us and enjoy the rewards!

    Regards,

    Maria Florides
    GPWA Program Manager
    GPWA.org | iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com | FinanceAffiliatePrograms.com | GPWAtimes.org | iGamingPocketDirectory.com | APCW.org

    Mob: +35796453758 | Skype: Maria.florides1 | Email: Maria@gpwa.org

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •