Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64
  1. #41
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,976
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for doing the math on the 5 plugins that changed over time.

    This helps to point out that having the 5 plugins "might" be ok, or if you look at the functions you need and find the plugins that cover those functions, with the "least" total amount and trying to make sure you do not have overlapping functions, then at least you trying to reduce the overall overhead "some" plugins eat up.

    Dave makes a good point, if it is not relevant to a specific site, don't install it. Need it later? Add it then.

    Rick
    Universal4

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (17 June 2023)

  3. #42
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,920
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaftDog View Post
    it's not just the plugins that would be a problem, a poorly designed theme can be too.

    That's why I mainly use premium themes and plugins.
    I agree, a badly coded theme can kill speed too.
    And, yes, paying a yearly subscription to a theme developer, is far better than a one-time charge.

    A pro-theme not being kept updated, will eventually not work at all. What a waste of time, resources, and could even cost you dearly in the SE's.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Former Member 14 For This Useful Post:

    dannyx (18 June 2023)

  5. #43
    dannyx is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2019
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 186 Times in 148 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    Need it later? Add it then.
    I won't quite agree. At the beginning when I was planning the development of the site, I knew about some of the features that I would want to implement in the future. I uploaded the appropriate software right away to get the compatibility out of the way later. I knew that when I started using it suddenly there would be no problems, because it's already in the architecture of the site.
    Of course, this is not the case with everything and some things are added later.



    I agree, a badly coded theme can kill speed too.
    And, yes, paying a yearly subscription to a theme developer, is far better than a one-time charge.

    A pro-theme not being kept updated, will eventually not work at all. What a waste of time, resources, and could even cost you dearly in the SE's.
    I fully agree. Especially for themes and plugins that are critical to the operation of the site.
    A lot depends on your budget, but as a general rule, this is true. In case of lack of budget, it is worth looking for cheaper and "clean" solutions.

    It's no fun to put a lot of work into something after which, through lack of updates, we can throw it in the garbage. Certainly, annual subscriptions motivate theme/plugin providers to improve products and updates.

  6. #44
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,920
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyx View Post
    A lot depends on your budget
    If you have to five and dime it, then your wasting your time.

    Long gone are the days in this industry, and others, where, one can operate on a shoe-string budget.

    Besides, if an affiliate can't afford to invest $75 or so into a decent, fast professional WP theme; maybe buy a few pro-plugins ($100), and then pay $20 or less a month for a decent startup shared hosting account... Sorry to say, your up the proverbial creek before you start!

    If I had a $ for every newbie who comes here and asks... Why is my site not ranking?
    Your using Wix, or some other useless, mainstream targeted option, that's not suitable for this gig

    Anyway, if folks want to debate the cr#p out of this topic by agreeing/disagreeing or whatever, that one's prerogative.

    However, the advise I've given in this thread and others, is what has kept my head well above the waterline for the last 23 years, in this gig!
    Last edited by Former Member 14; 18 June 2023 at 11:54 am.

  7. #45
    dannyx is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2019
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 186 Times in 148 Posts

    Default

    In general, buying any theme equals duplication of other designs.
    I am a proponent of blank page and building from scratch.
    I myself exclusively use Hello Elementor, a blank page.

    Gaming themes like dinomatic, poka, mercury, flytonic are already too often used to be useful.

  8. #46
    gam-navi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2023
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Yes. I keep all plugins updated.

  9. #47
    JKronwritter is offline New Member
    Join Date
    December 2023
    Location
    Wien
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Well, with the latest update of the ThirstyAffiliates plugin, errors began to appear (WordPress 6.4.2)

  10. #48
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,976
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKronwritter View Post
    Well, with the latest update of the ThirstyAffiliates plugin, errors began to appear (WordPress 6.4.2)
    This is concerning, can you elaborate on the specific types of errors you are seeing?

    Maybe some of the members here can help determine what is happening and suggest changes or work arounds to help clear it up.

    Rick
    Universal4

  11. #49
    kazino-igri-bg is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2023
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Maybe try plugin version 2.12.1? This version is compatible with WordPress 6.4.2

  12. #50
    Niko is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2023
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Always updating, unless we found bugs with new versions so we do revert

  13. #51
    dachin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2023
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Plugins are only set to auto-update. There are many latest and useful plug-ins, but when I installed a plug-in in the past, a bug occurred on my site. I install plugins after gaining some knowledge.

  14. #52
    Sofi777 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2023
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default plugin updates

    It's crucial to regularly update plugins and themes when using WordPress for your affiliate site. Updates often include security patches, bug fixes, and new features that improve site performance and protect against vulnerabilities. By staying up-to-date, you ensure your site remains secure, functions smoothly, and stays compatible with the latest WordPress updates. Regular updates also help prevent compatibility issues with other plugins and ensure you can take advantage of new features that could enhance your site's user experience and SEO performance.

  15. #53
    rumbrasko is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2024
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    I believe that updating plugins that are purely related to design is not a must. I try to keep the plugins to the minimum and I only keep an eye on page-speed plugins, since not updating them could lead to worse results on core web vitals.

  16. #54
    OnlineKasiino is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2024
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    All plugins are set to auto-update, which maybe a mistake as some after the update tend to break the website...

  17. #55
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,976
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rumbrasko View Post
    I believe that updating plugins that are purely related to design is not a must. I try to keep the plugins to the minimum and I only keep an eye on page-speed plugins, since not updating them could lead to worse results on core web vitals.
    Have to disagree with this to a point.
    Plugins can easily end up have vulnerabilities discovered in them later. Often updates to plugin might be relate to security fixes and in those cases ignoring the update could be risky.

    Rick
    Universal4

  18. #56
    LepriconGirl's Avatar
    LepriconGirl is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    October 2018
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I have to say that updating plugins is essential and I agree completely with @universal4.

    Still, auto-updates without supervision can be painful for the websites overall uptime and perfomance. Most of the plugins can be put to auto-updates, but alas - usually the one that are used the most can't. For instance, Elementor breaks so many websites daily with single update which is trashy. Social Media and Slider plugins as well. The rest should be good to go for auto-updates.

    What is crucial, at least from my experience, is to make backups beforehand and turning-off auto-updates for plugins which are known for update issues. Find a good host that has auto-backups for some period, so you don't have to think about that as well. Keep your plugins to a minimum, because loading them all with or without caching is slowing the whole thing down.

    That's my 2 cents, hope it helps!

  19. #57
    WBM's Avatar
    WBM
    WBM is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    410
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 97 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    One thing people fail to overlook is checking for existing known security vulnerabilities in their plugins.
    LiteSPeed Cache had a huge security flaw which was fixed recently, yet you'll be surprised how many of our clients haven't updated to the latest LSCache version to fix this issue, yet are extremely quick to ask why their WP installation has been compromised.

  20. #58
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,976
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    Interesting thread to re-visit.
    The latest word press update has implemented some sort of plugin rollback. (6.6)

    A friend and I discussed this last few days, and we have not had the time to see what they are doing. Guessing they will have to add a table or two to track this, and maybe zip up current plugins if you use the wp interface to update one.

    This was just some initial speculation on our part but will be interesting to see how it works. Also wonder how they would handle table changes a plugin might make on an update, so I think the best practice is always a backup before updating most plugins or wordpress itself.

    Rick
    Universal4

  21. #59
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    I guess these days wordpress does that for you, unless like many of us you have set wp-cron to run at a specific time. At that point I see it run into issues, which get solved after 24hrs I'm guessing when the scheduled trigger executes. I have it on ever 30 mins so not sure why it takes 24hrs.

    I see some of the major ones like Rankmath and contact form 7 (pretty much the only things I use) update ahead of time, which means they are aware of the cycle and when wordpress updates itself.

    One thing that always scares me, is some sort of a weird interaction bug that would break the functionality of the site as I had it happen before with Wp-Rocket and Yoast.

    Also any plugin pushing jquery as a method to solve outdated code should be abandoned.

    Anyways I believe when this thread started there was no autoupdate function but these days most likely everyone has that on.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to xecutable For This Useful Post:

    universal4 (19 July 2024)

  23. #60
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,976
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    Good point on the weird interactions, which can come about between plugins etc.

    This is sometime why people keep autupdate off for some plugins so they are more involved in the process to be ready in case something does go wrong.

    Rick
    Universal4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •