View Poll Results: What's the longest power outage you've ever had?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never had a power outage.

    2 8.33%
  • The longest power outage I remember was less than an hour.

    1 4.17%
  • The longest power outage I remember was one to two hours.

    1 4.17%
  • The longest power outage I remember was two to three hours.

    1 4.17%
  • The longest power outage I remember was three to five hours.

    1 4.17%
  • The longest power outage I remember was five to ten hours.

    2 8.33%
  • The longest power outage I remember was ten hours to one day.

    7 29.17%
  • The longest power outage I remember was one to two days.

    3 12.50%
  • The longest power outage I remember was two to three days.

    1 4.17%
  • The longest power outage I remember was three days to a week.

    3 12.50%
  • The longest power outage I remember was one to two weeks.

    0 0%
  • The longest power outage I remember was more than two weeks.

    2 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    MichaelCorfman's Avatar
    MichaelCorfman is offline GPWA Executive Director
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,702
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked 6,365 Times in 2,041 Posts

    Question What's the longest power outage you've ever had?

    Electric power is critical in today's developed world. We all depend on it, and power interruption can be incredibly disruptive. With the growing importance of the power grid, reliable operation is critical. Yet with the growing fury of storms, power has become less reliable in many cases. And extended outages as the result of storms seem to be more common, not just hours or days, but sometimes weeks or even months.

    I had my first taste of an extended power outage this past weekend. With the storm on the East Coast of the United States, high winds severed the connection to the power grid for our data center and a number of other buildings last Friday. Our power was not restored until nearly three days later. And we were lucky compared with many others in the area. Emergency backup generators kept the GPWA website running. Without them we would have been down for three days.

    So, with that on my mind, I've decided to ask folks about their experiences with power outages for this week's poll. What is the longest power outage you have personally experienced. Be sure to share the details. And share what you do to protect against power outages. Do you use a UPS to protect against short power interruptions?

    Michael
    GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot
    Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MichaelCorfman For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (7 March 2018), matthewt (9 March 2018)

  3. #2
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Only ever hours out - so no - we don't have a UPS or backup generator for computers - our sites are professionally hosted offshore.

    When we lived in the country we would have planned outages of 3-5 hours once or twice a year where they would be repairing power pylons, trimming tall trees etc, which helped to minimise outages during storms - so unplaned outages are usually 1-2 hours max.

    Having said that during major pacific cyclone storms (once or twice a year) there are always reports of somewhere around the country that was hit harder, several power lines are down, and it can take a couple of days to restore service to all locations - but 99.5% of people have service within a couple of hours.

  4. #3
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    I don't remember ever not having power for days at a time, but I remember buying a UPS years ago when I still lived in my hometown for no reason other than to power my fridge if there was an outage. We had a couple of hours without power one time and the UPS might have survived for that long (it was a piece of crap UPS) but otherwise never had any other use for it than being able to say I had a UPS.
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (10 March 2018)

  6. #4
    Vargoso's Avatar
    Vargoso is offline Spanish Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    February 2018
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 100 Times in 66 Posts

    Default

    My perspective about this topic is very particular, as I'm an Electrical Engineer, so I'm actually the guy running quickly to solve the problem so all people can follow their curse.

    Longest power outage...one day I think, but actually I remember a very different history: It was December 31, like 10 seconds to midnight, and all the family was doing the big countdown for the new year, and 4 seconds to midnight everything was black, so all people was in silence and we didn't noticed when the new year arrived. 00:05 the power was restarted.

    Recommendations for you guys: Get an UPS if your process is critical, but I don't know many processes very critical, remember the Wi-fi is gonna be down too. If you use a laptop, I would only recommend a surge protector, cause the battery will work just fine to save ongoing job...Also, have a flashlight at home

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vargoso For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (7 March 2018), Former Member 14 (10 March 2018), Renee (8 March 2018)

  8. #5
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Bella Italia
    Posts
    1,891
    Thanks
    614
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 766 Posts

    Default

    About 13 hours in the vicinity of Prague after a storm.

  9. #6
    DaftDog's Avatar
    DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 779 Times in 467 Posts

    Default

    More than two weeks without power when a major local electrical substation literally blew-up when an electrician switched an old HT switch back on after a period of load shedding.

    This was back in 2008 when Zuma cronies had taken over our power utility Eskom. Fortunately "load shedding" is now a thing of the past, along with our now ex-president Zuma.

  10. #7
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    I don't even remember the last time we have a power cut. Maybe one or two very brief ones in the 11 or so years I've been in London. Talking minutes though.

    When I was a kid growing up we had them all the time though.
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  11. #8
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Ps. I have no idea what a UPS is?
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  12. #9
    DaftDog's Avatar
    DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 779 Times in 467 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldidiot View Post
    Ps. I have no idea what a UPS is?
    A courier service perhaps?
    Last edited by DaftDog; 8 March 2018 at 10:54 pm. Reason: Had to add a "wink" to highlight sarcasm. :(

  13. #10
    robertmedl's Avatar
    robertmedl is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2006
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    451
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 128 Times in 93 Posts

    Default

    Universal Power Supply

  14. #11
    Vargoso's Avatar
    Vargoso is offline Spanish Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    February 2018
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 100 Times in 66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldidiot View Post
    Ps. I have no idea what a UPS is?
    UPS means Uninterruptible Power Service. It is an electronic device with batteries designed to provide power immediately (equipment connected to UPS will no shutdown in a blackout) after a power outage, and for a determined time according to the battery capacity. There are small UPS like for a PC and industrial UPS for big equipments or lots of PC’s.

    are very used in IT services like servers.
    Last edited by Vargoso; 8 March 2018 at 6:37 am.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vargoso For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (10 March 2018), Former Member 14 (10 March 2018), Renee (8 March 2018)

  16. #12
    NDG
    NDG is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2013
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 23 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    The longest that I've experienced was slightly over 30 days without power.

    This was during a natural disaster that killed a lot of people.. so as bad as the power outage was, it was a blessing to be alive.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NDG For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (10 March 2018), Renee (8 March 2018)

  18. #13
    matthewt's Avatar
    matthewt is offline On Vacation
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    526
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    1,003
    Thanked 140 Times in 111 Posts

    Default

    Only my compter has a UPS, that I know of.

  19. #14
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,920
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,278 Posts

    Default

    ooops, Vargoso already answered it!

  20. #15
    Simseen is offline New Member
    Join Date
    September 2017
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    A few days when i was living in Spain. It wasn't really a big problem except for all our things in the freezer and refrigerator has to be thrown out. Me and my roomies just ate out and spent more time than usual at our local bar.
    As the bar owners became our friends we was able to charge both out laptops and mobiles there so we had power for our phones througout the night so we could wake up for work.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Simseen For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (15 March 2018)

  22. #16
    allfreechips's Avatar
    allfreechips is online now Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    Ohio - The taxing state
    Posts
    1,632
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 831 Times in 525 Posts

    Default

    When the east coast of the US went out for days I was somehow in a small pocket with power feel like a king when you look out the windows and see total darkness. Since then I wired some 3 way switches into my breaker box, ran a 30 amp cable to my garage and can plud in two 15 amp plugs from a gas generator outside. I can heat the house, keep the fridge on with some lights and TV/sat. And of course the front porch lights to baffle the neighbors.
    AFC MEDIA LLC COMPLETE GAMING AFFILIATE SOLUTION
    Statsfetch.com
    secure / powerful inexpensive stats fetch system - Free for 20 provers always
    Allmediamatter
    Interface for casino owners/managers to add their affiliates and brands to feed ezcasinoaff
    Allfreechips -
    My 24 year old SEO casino site

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to allfreechips For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (15 March 2018)

  24. #17
    Olivia King Billy is offline Former Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    The longest I was without power was 2 days. We had some problems with electricity when I was studying at the university. I lived with 2 girls and we had no idea what to do back then. So it took as 2 days to find someone to help us. I remember charging my phone in a cafe/ taking shower with candles ( which was kind of cool ).

  25. #18
    Cash Bonus's Avatar
    Cash Bonus is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,450
    Thanks
    9,149
    Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,216 Posts

    Default

    The longest power outage that I had lasted only 2 hours, but that's long enough for the dairy products to go off.

  26. #19
    Breakout Affiliates is offline Restricted Account
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 126 Times in 96 Posts

    Default

    We had power cuts quite often a few years ago in S.A. and some areas still get them but they are much less frequent.

  27. #20
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,978
    Thanks
    4,537
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    2 hours should be no where near long enough to spoil any food.
    Stay out of the fridge is the first rule.

    I went 1 week last year.

    I am now making plans to do the annual maintenance and few needed things for this year's hurricane season, and already am staying at least 1 case of bottled water ahead as well as stocking up a few extra canned goods, and other things that do not require refrigeration such as protein shakes, juices etc.

    Rick
    Universal4

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (30 May 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •