Do you have a full time job and do this as a hobby or have you made this your full time job? Would be great to hear from anyone regarding the transition? and when it took place?
Do you have a full time job and do this as a hobby or have you made this your full time job? Would be great to hear from anyone regarding the transition? and when it took place?
Currently dipping my toe back in the water with my pet project site, Vegan Chocolate.
eCasinos (12 July 2015), MichaelCorfman (1 July 2015)
voted for full time but on my websites LOL ,and i work full time for 3 years now ...
![]()
To be honest, as this industry is growing more and more, and the time you need to devote on your website increases, you will see less and less people having a site as a 'hobby'. Yes it was definitely possible back in 2005 (random year) where people placed some banners and regs started flying (or so I hear), but no chance now.
In fact I do not know ANYONE who has a successful website and runs this as a hobby, parallel to something else. In fact I KNEW someone who tried it and after a year he came back full time, as things just dropped, even though he had people hired to run things for him. Truth is, nobody will care as much as you care about your OWN business.
There was no transition for me back in 2009. I quit my 9-5 to do something that I liked. I had no money, just the fear. I'd be working on the site all the time, and sell some content just to barely make rent and food and give me a peace of mind. There was this story about this captain, that arrived on the coast of the US, and had to overcome being outnumbered 3 to 1 (sorry if im butchering the story).
What he did is burned the ships, so his men, would have a fallback option, and the only way to live is to overcome their enemy. Im a true believer that as long as u have a "fallback" option and you phaseout, it may be always the case. OFC many people have done it and it's not for everyone, but that's what works for me.
You gotta gamble on it (the irony).
alin04 (1 July 2015), DanHorvat (1 July 2015), dfiocch (12 July 2015), Moonlight Cat (2 July 2015), sportsbookh (29 September 2018), Triple7 (2 July 2015)
WagerPod, thank you for posting this poll. We're going to use it as our poll of the week in the GPWA Times newsletter that will be published later today. Your initial post made the intent of the poll clear, but for someone just reading the poll, the intent could be unclear, so we have edited the wording of the actual poll to better match what was said in the post. If anyone who already voted in the poll would like their vote changed after reading the revised wording of the poll, please let me know.
Michael
GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot
Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com
Cash Bonus (2 October 2018)
Did Sales at startups and in High Tech for years. Then one day I got a large commission check from a player I've sent many years ago and thought to myself hmm..... I shouldn't wake up early every morning and deal with commutes to make someone else rich when I can keep the lion share to myself..
And the rest as they say, is history...
RacingJim (2 July 2015)
I was a full-time affiliate for a couple of years, but the income dropped due to player attrition. And so I am now back to having a full-time job as a user experience architect, working on my affiliate business maybe 10 hours a week.
Been full time for 2 years, before that I dabbled on and off with some failed projects that I never really dedicated myself to. As soon as I put proper hours into it I made proper money, so to me it is that plunge you have to take, not only in hours but in attitude as in 'this is what I'm going to dedicate myself to' - it's a mindset thing to me.
At the time I read a lot of entrepeneurial websites + forums before going full time and that inspired me to take the plunge, at the end of the day everyone who ever made it in any business at one point or another took that leap of faith to leave a 'regular' job.
It's the risk takers who inevitably have a better chance of winning in business. Richard Branson didn't get where he got by playing it safe. You don't get anywhere sitting about talking about it and I did that myself long enough before finally plunging into it. My main thought once I did was 'God I could have done this in 2009'. 4 years earlier than I did, I even bought my main domain back in 2010 and sat on it for 3 years. But better late than never.
One last thought on mindset - I came at it from a techy/computer background, I used to spend ages on nitpicking on the look and function of the sites and menu systems etc etc. When I started focusing on how to be a good affiliate, reading around like crazy about this topic only, that's when the penny finally dropped and I got it. The technical aspects and the affiliate marketing aspects are 2 different animals and you ideally need to be good at both, I know a lot of 'websites' people who just don't quite fully get it.
-Shay- (2 July 2015), GamblingEnthusiast (2 July 2015), Moonlight Cat (2 July 2015), Triple7 (2 July 2015)
I actually had to make that radical decision to quit what I was doing in order to have more time to develop projects. It wasn't easy to decide, as I have other people - and two animals - depending on me. Having an income stream coming from a job is a very cozy position. Being responsible for your own salary is scary as hell, and exhausting, too.
I guess that's why most people take the safest option of developing projects in their spare time, and are only willing to quit their day job if the project ever picks up. I can't ask them to take a chance, as that might be suicide. There are probably reasons why the project is stagnant, and I suppose it would be better to address those reasons first. In most cases the problem is stubbornness and pride. The unwillingness to change your ways and believing perseverance is the key to entrepreneuship. Sure is, if you're on the right track. Otherwise you're just going the wrong way.
In my particular case the reason why my projects were stagnant was time and time alone, so the decision was a logical one albeit difficult. It would be unwise to do the same if the problem was something else, like me having my own SEO ideas which aren't based on facts and which therefore don't work. Now that one wouldn't have been resolved by quitting my job.
Moonlight Cat (3 July 2015), ocreditor (12 July 2015)
Organisation, self-motivation, discipline - are all very important when thinking about going full time. It's definitely not a decision to take lightly or recklessly. I would also say have some backup savings, I saved up £5000 and sold my car - I wouldn't need my car, I'd be sat at home doing affiliate marketing! I stripped my outgoings down to a minimum.
I totally dedicated myself to doing this - it was that slightly obsessive, dedicated approach that has so far worked well for me. It's definitely not for everyone though. I was putting in 60-80 hour weeks for the first 6 months.
kazinoportal (21 October 2018), Triple7 (2 July 2015)
I ended up becoming a full time affiliate because I was made redundant from my job.
I had tried to set things up alongside my full time job, but just couldn't dedicate the time or have the motivation to make a good go at it.
The redundancy was a good thing as I got enough of a payoff to last me a year if I really cut back. So thats what I did, I gave it my best shot and decided that if I wasn't making money within a year I would go back to what I knew.
Fortunately I started making some income after 6 months. The redundancy has now gone and after 2 years I now have an income similar to what I had when I lost my job.
I'm much happier now I'm in control of what I do and when I do it. I don't work crazy hours, having a good work life balance is very important to me, but when i work i work hard. One of the best things is that I'm learning new skills which I love.
If my earnings were half of what they are I wouldn't go back. I'm not motivated by money, being happy is my motivation and it just so happens that I'm now an affiliate, I could easily be as happy doing something else where I wasn't a slave to the corporate wage.
Sold www.livecasinocomparer.com in April 2025 - Now retired
-Shay- (2 July 2015), DanHorvat (2 July 2015), Marc Weinberg (8 July 2015), Moonlight Cat (2 July 2015), Mr Live Casinos (21 July 2015), RacingJim (2 July 2015), Sam_IncomeAccess (6 July 2015), suffolkpoker (3 July 2015)
Yes, I do. Ofc, I would like to do this fulltime, be my own boss and spend my time exactly the way I want to spend my time. It would be great to start the day with going to the gym, than go to the church, work, have dinner, go again to the gym, work a bit or whatever...
And like Dan I got people and animals depending on me. For now, it's not a good idea to quit my job. Perhaps in the future it is. We'll see.
This is it, the hours.. I am up at 5am sometimes 6, Work.. have a siesta at 2pm which is dead time.. wake up 5pm, start again until 2 sometimes 4am "nfl season" everyday of the week... Christmas and New Year included.. If I´m not Working I´m learning something new.. there is always something to do
Sold mine to invest in a project. Sold everything I could. Borrowed, begged, sold - just to raise enough money to get it going, and to see the project fail within 6 months.
Don't work crazy hours. I got seriously ill in 2012 from doing that, I'm lucky I regained my health at all. Work smarter, not harder, don't stare at the damn screen.
These days I'm putting myself first. Today I played tennis at high noon and I feel fantastic. Work comes second.
-Shay- (2 July 2015), suffolkpoker (3 July 2015), Triple7 (2 July 2015)
I am full time affiliate. But i am don't work hard.
I belive that working hard for affiliate = wrong way.
The main target = Assign the results of other people's labor.
This is the main idea of capitalism, the less you work the more you earn.
Because other people work for you.
Cash Bonus (2 October 2018), DanHorvat (3 July 2015), dfiocch (12 July 2015), Triple7 (3 July 2015)
Somehow i chose the first option but i am a full time affiliate working right from the morning to evening and sometimes more than that, yet the time has not come for me in a good steady way....
Full time affiliate nowadays, although like may of you it's flexible in that I build family commitments and some down-time into my week which I couldn't do in my previous life as a corporate wage slave.
My weeks are massively lop-sided with Mondays & Tuesdays being long, hard days then the rest of the week I can get to the gym, play a bit of golf and help the other half with the kids etc in between working. Wouldn't have it any other way now![]()
I am not a full time affiliate. But i am a full time entrepeneur. I own more than 1 business. At the moment our casino affiliate website is a great extra income besides the other things i do.
Besides being a casino affiliate for a while now, i own a Dutch Soccer mobile app. An app for each Amature Football Club. At the moment over 170 clubs use the app and this is still growing.
I cannot wait till the moment arrives when online gambling is legal in Netherlands. I have database of 100.000 users (footballers). So i can push betting offers all the way around.
The affiliate business is a motivating business when you see new depositing players during the weeks/ days. Every new player gives me more motivation to keep on working on the websites.
The good thing about my business is that i can schedule everything the way i want. Swimming, cycling, working, chilling, holidays, i love it!!
I wish every Affiliate all the luck in doing there business.
"For Sluts you go to Pornhub, for Slots you come to us"
David
Wanna do business? Skype me: LSDave19
BestBettingCasinos | Top 10 online casinos | €10 Free bonuses | 50 Free Spins
-Shay- (3 July 2015), kazinoportal (21 October 2018), Moonlight Cat (3 July 2015)
True, but first you've got to work hard or you have to have serious money to invest and let people work from scratch on. I think working hard is not the wrong way, but working hard for years definitely is. The beginning is always hard I guess, but from time to time I hope to be able to let more and more work to other people. Actually I've started with that. I got now somebody working for me. It's some next step after I took the step to invest a lot of time and energy in starting something.
Not so many people were able to start from scratch on some business that is running very well without the need of the owner to put a lot of time on it. A lot of people also stay in the modus "working their ass of 70 hours a week". They missed somewhere the moment that they should profit more of the work of other people or sell their business and look for something else.
RacingJim (4 July 2015)
A lot of work smart, or get others to work.. But I cannot find anyone like me.. why? because they are already doing it themselves.. I can't put faith in someone to do the same as me for a salary.. of course you can delegate I have a few writers mostly active during NFL season, NBA etc.. but all the behind the doors work I do, building brand, out new pages.. working on conversions, and I don't mind the hours.. those that work 40-50 hour weeks also spend 2-4 hours daily commuting too.. And the more successful I become the more i need to do to make sure it keeps moving.
Quote Arnold Schwarzenegger: When you’re out there partying, horsing around, someone out there at the same time is working hard. Someone is getting smarter and someone is winning. Just remember that.” <<<<< This is so true.... Can you really expect to keep the same spot that you earned by taking a break? Someone will overtake you.
RacingJim (4 July 2015)
I started to do all this affiliate stuff when I was at Uni, and I have only graduated last summer, so I am still only doing affiliate stuff + some SEO freelance job.
So, I can't really say I am full time affiliate, and I don't have full time job lol![]()
My website: http://mrbinary.co.uk/
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MrBinaryAff
Like my pictures on Instagram: https://instagram.com/mrbinary