Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MrBinaryAff is offline Private Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeahfree View Post
    hahaha, i should have seen that coming. whaaa, i just created my personal spam folder!
    Omg, GPWA needs it implement "LOL" button instead of "Thanks"
    My website: http://mrbinary.co.uk/

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MrBinaryAff
    Like my pictures on Instagram: https://instagram.com/mrbinary

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrBinaryAff For This Useful Post:

Progger (29 November 2018), Triple7 (29 November 2018)

FictionNet is offline Closed by Request
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 653 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    The private section is not visible to sponsor programs. We can create additional invite only rooms to ensure privacy. If you are interested in that please let me know.
    It's not sponsor programs doing 99% of the spamming.

ETA: nearly posted this edit as a new post but didn't want to spam the forum with multiple posts!

About to dash off for a much needed haircut so throwing this idea out there quickly. Anthony, I know you'll hate this idea but c'mon, you've had enough time to see this coming. You mention members calling out others by name. You haven't mentioned that the vast majority of pissed off members HAVEN'T done so, despite really wanting to. We've been polite and patient on the whole and the result has been a MUCH crappier gpwa, from a regular user or passer by's POV. It's happened on your watch.

Maybe this is a lousy idea (I'm sure Anthony will think so) but perhaps the annoyed members need to 'walk out' for a month. Go on strike for January, maybe. Not post a thing. Not thank a thing. Leave only the newbie and spam content and see what's left.

Right, off for my haircut. Perhaps this post will be edited or I'll be banned by the time I get back

BTW, no offence intended - to ANYONE. Just trying to think of a way to solve a problem that isn't solving itself. Feel free to say it's a crap idea - you could be right.

- - -

ETA no. 2: now I really DO have to go. Just had another (crap or brilliant - you tell me) idea. For spammy member, or even for ALL members, perhaps implement a maximum daily post limit. If someone is posting pointless dribble (which we all do on occasions, especially myself) and it's solely to bump up their post count/add sig links (again, you know who you are), then give them a max daily post limit of three posts. If they've really got something to say that day, they'll make sure their three posts cover it. I'd accept the same limit myself if it helped fix this problem at gpwa.
    Last edited by FictionNet; 29 November 2018 at 4:54 am.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FictionNet For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (29 November 2018), PROFRBcom (4 December 2018), TheGooner (29 November 2018)

AussieDave is offline Public Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,088 Posts

Hi Anthony, (all)...

I could understand your reasoning, and that of the GPWA, if this ongoing (spam) topic was making a mountain from a mole hill.

While we haven't always agreed on everything, no one can say you don't embrace fair-play for all.

I've seen you stick-up for people and entities (giving the benefit of doubt) when, even Blind Freddy can see your being played. Yet, you stand your guns and defend them all the same. Albeit when it justified it's a commendable virtue.

---------
    There's a Tarzan Joke I recall from primary School, it goes like this:

Q: Why didn't Tarzan recognize the elephants coming over the hill?

A: Because, they were all wearing sunglasses
    ---------

This "spam topic" keeps coming up - it's the ELEPHANT at the GPWA.

The problem is not the problem: the problem is the attitude about the problem!

Long standing respected members (both private and public), who have contribute many, many hours of posting, and subsequently supported the GPWA over the years, are all singing from the same song sheet, with regards to these "spammers". This matter (issue) has been allowed to fester so long, without intervention, that members who once contributed quality content, and help (on their own admission) are now less likely to contribute.

It seems, for whatever reason, the "spammers" are being granted carte blanche, even at the risk of alienating long-standing, respected members. To me, and it would seem to others also, that makes no sense at all.

YES... The GPWA forum provides the option to BLOCK member's, and their posts etc., etc. But that only stops US seeing the dribble (spam). It doesn't STOP Google indexing said "dribble", and or the DO FOLLOW Thanks etc., etc., which seems to be the sole motivation for this spam.

When I requested my GPWA membership to be reinstated, as I explained to you Anthony, my intention was to give something back. We discussed the possibility of creating a dedicated WP forum, where I could post guides about WP security and what not, from my 8+ years exp with WP.

Reiterating, I'm sure other members with exp in other areas, would also be happy to contribute to the betterment of the GPWA on a whole. That's what the GPWA has stood for, for as long as I can remember... Members helping each other, to grow their affiliate businesses. BUT, and yes, this is a BIG BUT... Why contribute to the betterment of an affiliate forum, when the ELEPHANTS are pulling the place down???!!!

The supposed reprogramming of the monthly contributor's award, was supposed to fix the gaming of the system. It hasn't!

Maybe the GPWA staff et al need to have a pow-wow over this "spam epidemic", because I personally can't see it changing for the better. Actually, it's getting worse by the month. Watching a boycott by numerous members, is something I'd think the GPWA would like to avoid... just sayin!

EDIT: (biting my lip)... However, you know what really gets-my-goat up on all of this... To the best of my knowledge, ALL of these "spammers" are GPWA private members (who, are bound by agreed rules and ethics). FFS I had my private membership stripped from me back in circa 2011, for not even anything close to what's taking place here now.

Aside from a 2 week ban, and a couple of weeks of moderated posts, that's all that happened to one of these spammers... Really???!!!

In closing, I've let bygone's be bygone's.
    Though, this "spam" and credence given to these members responsible for it, accountability has be replaced by lame justifications/excuses.

Nothing fair about that...
    Last edited by AussieDave; 29 November 2018 at 12:54 pm. Reason: spelling plus edit
    ---
    Compliance: a code word for control

---
    Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. It's called integrity.
    ---

It's your right to be treated honestly: fairness for all igaming affiliates - doch.news

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AussieDave For This Useful Post:

DaftDog (29 November 2018), FictionNet (29 November 2018), JamieG1981 (29 November 2018), PROFRBcom (4 December 2018), wonderpunter (29 November 2018)

wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,012 Posts

I did mention this to Anthony in Amsterdam, and even their response on this thread hasn't offered any fix it's become ridiculous with even more copycat spammers signing up

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wonderpunter For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (29 November 2018), PROFRBcom (4 December 2018)

TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,212 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FictionNet View Post
    ETA no. 2: now I really DO have to go. Just had another (crap or brilliant - you tell me) idea. For spammy member, or even for ALL members, perhaps implement a maximum daily post limit. If someone is posting pointless dribble (which we all do on occasions, especially myself) and it's solely to bump up their post count/add sig links (again, you know who you are), then give them a max daily post limit of three posts. If they've really got something to say that day, they'll make sure their three posts cover it. I'd accept the same limit myself if it helped fix this problem at gpwa.
    Smartest idea of the lot.

To clarify - limit the posts per day for everyone except staff and sponsors.
    And make the limit quite tight - perhaps just 3-5 per day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

FictionNet (30 November 2018)

universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,943 Times in 5,010 Posts

Limiting posts, that is a bad idea for a whole lot of reasons.

Let's say you make your 3 or 5 posts for the day, and then you run across a new issue for which you really want to provide feedback on....but you can't.

Maybe you are selling a site, a service or need something for which you can not reply about.

Rick
    Universal4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

Cash Bonus (29 November 2018)

Progger is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    Smartest idea of the lot.

To clarify - limit the posts per day for everyone except staff and sponsors.
    And make the limit quite tight - perhaps just 3-5 per day.
    Disagree,this would not solve the problem,because its not a big deal to open multiple accounts here.

Quick check, invalid search link removed
    11 unnecessary posts,this user want to write or answer some pnīs - quickly as possible...
    Selfmade problem...

My two cents...

Thanks

Multiple accounts, (especially those created to circumvent posting rules or for strictly link benefit) when discovered are closed, and consistent attempts to create multiple accounts may result in all accounts closed and reports filed with the Stop Forum Spam database.

If there are posts you wish to report, please use the post report function, or send a PM. Searches, such as a members current posts, expire rather quickly so posting such is not helpful.

Rick
    Universal4

allaboutthebets is offline Private Member
    Thanks

I think Rick is trying to say there is not a spam problem in the forum or if there is, these are the steps taken to remove "spam".......

I think that we as members just want a solution so that all the crappy, meaningless posts go and this forum can go back to the reliable, useful source of information it was many years ago. Where people would share knowledge and help each other. I do hope the old, knowledgeable posters do come back and post again.

That's all I want this year Santa if you are reading.
    bettingworx.com - latest betting app reviews & guides for Android, iOS & mobile.
    androidbettingappguide.co.uk - Reviews, download guides & info for betting apps on Android devices
    bettingapps365com - Dedicated Android app store for all gambling apps
    bingoappguide.co.uk - Reviews & guides for all real money bingo apps
    appsdeapuestas.es | app-scommesse.com | pokerappguide.com | gamble-usa.com

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allaboutthebets For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (30 November 2018), FictionNet (30 November 2018), PROFRBcom (4 December 2018), Renee (2 December 2018)

FictionNet is offline Closed by Request
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 653 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    Limiting posts, that is a bad idea for a whole lot of reasons.

Let's say you make your 3 or 5 posts for the day, and then you run across a new issue for which you really want to provide feedback on....but you can't.

Maybe you are selling a site, a service or need something for which you can not reply about.

Rick
    Universal4
    Non-spammy members can earn higher post limits.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FictionNet For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (30 November 2018), PROFRBcom (4 December 2018)

TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,212 Times in 2,004 Posts

So - you wait one day. What is the issue?
    If you are selling a site or a service then you can use PMs to discuss directly with people.

I can't think of a day that I NEEDED to make more than FIVE posts on the GPWA.
    But I can think of plenty of days (every day?) that the mindless thankbot has done so.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (30 November 2018), FictionNet (30 November 2018)

AussieDave is offline Public Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allaboutthebets View Post
    I think Rick is trying to say there is not a spam problem in the forum or if there is, these are the steps taken to remove "spam".......

I think that we as members just want a solution so that all the crappy, meaningless posts go and this forum can go back to the reliable, useful source of information it was many years ago. Where people would share knowledge and help each other.
    Agreed. It's long past the point of denial EG - what ELEPHANT... I don't see an ELEPHANT in the room rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    I can't think of a day that I NEEDED to make more than FIVE posts on the GPWA.
    But I can think of plenty of days (every day?) that the mindless thankbot has done so.
    I agree with you whole hardheartedly on the later regarding the "thankbot".

However, your first statement, while it maybe relative to your postings needs, it isn't relative to mine, and possibly not others either.

I still feel as if THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM, which multiple members are voicing their concerns about, is, for whatever reason, still not being acknowledged as the issue here. Instead, it's like a re-run of the X-Files... Admit nothing, deny everything mindset, by the GPWA staff et al.
    ---
    Compliance: a code word for control

---
    Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. It's called integrity.
    ---

It's your right to be treated honestly: fairness for all igaming affiliates - doch.news

JamieG1981 is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AussieDave View Post
    . Instead, it's like a re-run of the X-Files... Admit nothing, deny everything mindset, by the GPWA staff et al.
    Don't forget 'reward' the spammers too which was the oringinal purpose of the thread.

By rewarding this behaviour month after month it has just made the problem ten times worst and has encouraged many more accounts to follow suite.

I came across a thread today where someone was selling a few domains, the post was very clear and had all the detail required.

It finished saying if interested please send me a private message. It had 20 responses from different people asking to get the list sent instead of just sending a PM.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamieG1981 For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (1 December 2018), FictionNet (30 November 2018), PROFRBcom (4 December 2018)

RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 841 Posts

Just ban the crap accounts. It isn't that hard to spot spammers and acually do something about it.

When forums stop doing this for want of daily posting and 'seeming to be busy', that's when they go to ruin.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RacingJim For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (1 December 2018), FictionNet (30 November 2018), PROFRBcom (4 December 2018), Triple7 (30 November 2018)

-Shay- is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,686 Posts

Easy solution - since we're all here to share and exchange information then the "carrots" should not be missed by anyone:

1. remove footers altogether.
    2. remove link to profile from the thanks people give.
    3. end this top poster of the month thing.
    4. set number of posts at 1 before members can PM. Zero tolerance for abuse (1 strike policy).
    5. set zero tolerance policy for spammy, plagiarized, and/or inflammatory posts (1 strike policy).

The above should solve the world's problems & allow the forum to get back to sharing of valuable information "like it used to do".
    Last edited by -Shay-; 30 November 2018 at 11:42 am. Reason: added plagiarizm to the list of 1 strike activities

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Shay- For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (1 December 2018), Sherlock (30 November 2018)

Sherlock is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,282 Times in 1,824 Posts

I would give to everyone just 1 post into intro section. The person has to justify himself why he/she want to post here. It should get like 75% of upvotes of oldschoolers (or something like that). Spammers are stupid, even if they want to come here badly, they are not able to write anything interesting.

Do I need to read newbies posts? After all no. If they want to be sophomores, they can read and register later, when they are able to at least show in the pitch the problems they are facing.

This would work as self-moderation of the forum, so no extra costs for owners.
    We are all bloodsucking ticks, hungry, devious
    each one latched on to the ass of the previous
    when the last and the first latch on it can be shown
    ass-blood sucked by the first from the last is his own

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sherlock For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (30 November 2018)

Thanks

(since it was mentioned) We already have a 10 post requirement for sending PM's, which is a small part of the reason (on occasion not always) when someone will request details to be sent about site/domain sales even if the seller requests to be sent pm's.

I am always happy to forward contact details to anyone in such cases if the person has not hit the minimum yet.

The PM restriction really needs to stay so that new accounts can not blast a PM run to active accounts.

Rick
    Universal4

JamieG1981 is offline Public Member
    Thanks

(since it was mentioned) We already have a 10 post requirement for sending PM's, which is a small part of the reason (on occasion not always) when someone will request details to be sent about site/domain sales even if the seller requests to be sent pm's.

I am always happy to forward contact details to anyone in such cases if the person has not hit the minimum yet.

The PM restriction really needs to stay so that new accounts can not blast a PM run to active accounts.

Rick
    Universal4
    I think the point is that when someone makes a post selling or offering a service these spam accounts use it as an easy opportunity to up their post account and have no intention or interest in the content of the thread.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JamieG1981 For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (30 November 2018), AussieDave (1 December 2018), PROFRBcom (4 December 2018), Triple7 (30 November 2018)

-Shay- is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,686 Posts

Rick
    Universal4

My rationale for the 1 post requirement rather than ten was to eliminate the "trying to reach ten, thus spamming" excuse for spamming.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -Shay- For This Useful Post:

FictionNet (1 December 2018), Sherlock (30 November 2018), Triple7 (30 November 2018)

Triple7 is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,322 Posts

Why not remove links from signatures (the goal of posting on a forum should be sharing and getting information, not having your link in a thread) and IM/PM or marketing threads just on approval?

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Triple7 For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (30 November 2018), AussieDave (1 December 2018), Sherlock (30 November 2018)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast