Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    GamblersHeaven is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Hosting/Domain/Traffic Question

    With the recent news of MG leaving the US I figure it is a good time to go online with some international domains. I am in the US and have US hosting account and I am wondering if you need to have a UK host for a UK domain to get UK traffic from the search engines? If I host my UK domain in the US will it be visible on UK search engines? Can someone give me some insight on how this works?

  2. #2
    Prinzessin's Avatar
    Prinzessin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La gomera
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    my site is running undere US hosting account, i have no problem to get traffic europe
    www.poquer777.com
    GPWA approved site link exchange requests welcomed

    My Poker Blog
    www.internetpokerworld.com

  3. #3
    GamblersHeaven is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    I was under the impression that in order to get into Google.co.uk for example, you needed a UK web host. Do you get traffic from an international version of Google or international traffic from Google.com?

  4. #4
    AK's Avatar
    AK
    AK is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    558
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked 90 Times in 65 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GamblersLand View Post
    I was under the impression that in order to get into Google.co.uk for example, you needed a UK web host. Do you get traffic from an international version of Google or international traffic from Google.com?
    There is so many new . domains it's silly. I recommend if your site is google.com to get all the ending domain urls like google.co.uk etc.

    Protect your Name, Save yourself from stupid competitors who try and steal your url name like some companies do.

  5. #5
    PhilF (ex-WhichBingo)'s Avatar
    PhilF (ex-WhichBingo) is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2002
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 173 Times in 88 Posts

    Default

    Put your .co.uk domains on a UK server if you are looking for UK traffic.

    It is my understanding that you'll get extra 'Google points' if you do this. Whether or not it's true I don't know. However, there are thousands of good, cheap UK hosting companies so my view would be why 'possibly' upset the Big G with .co.uk domains hosted in US when you can easily keep Big G happy hosting in the UK.

    (Our Spanish site is hosted on a Spanish server, despite us being based in the UK for exactly this reason).

    HTH

  6. #6
    Webzcas's Avatar
    Webzcas is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    1,395
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 409 Posts

    Default

    I host all my sites on 2 dedicated servers which are in the UK. All my active domains whether .com or .co.uk rank better in google.co.uk than in google.com.
    Exit stage left

  7. #7
    GamblersHeaven is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I will be looking for a UK host since I will be targeting players in the UK or outside the US at least.

    Another question. If I own xyz.com and register the .net, .org, and other extensions just to keep someone else from registering those extensions, will it hurt the main sites rankings if I simply duplicate the other extensions with a copy of the main site?

  8. #8
    Chips's Avatar
    Chips is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    3,618
    Thanks
    1,040
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    In my thought process (correct me if wrong please) it would be better to set up the other tld's on a 301 and redirect them to your .com. This way you are not duplicating content and if they type xyz.org they transfer to your site. A lot easier to do as well.

    Of course cash parking is another option. I purchased my .net and re-directed to .com.
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •