Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1. #1
    QuasarAffiliates is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    September 2012
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 88 Times in 78 Posts

    Default Parenting Corner!

    Hi All,

    Not sure if a thread ever existed on the subject but I thought it would be fun to have a parents' corner, totally unrelated from other threads, but I am sure will be useful and good insight to those you might want to share or need advice from others. I am sure that GPWA is also a community for plenty of working moms and dads who have lots of information to share.

    i guess if i find no replies... I will know that its not needed..LOL!

    Thanks,
    Rebecca.

  2. #2
    Maria F is offline No longer with Harbour Gaming Affiliates
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    2,406
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 337 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    Hi Rebecca,

    I would love it if we had such a space in the GPWA, great idea!

    How many kids do you have?

  3. #3
    QuasarAffiliates is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    September 2012
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 88 Times in 78 Posts

    Default

    Hi Maria,

    I have 1, she will be 2 end of April. I never have enough time to spend with her. She will start nursery soon and I haven't warmed up to the idea at all yet! Scary moment for me...exciting moment for her. Every morning she says, 'mummy school'...cant believe how excited she is about it and how I cant even bring myself to think positive about it.

    I guess it just makes me a mum.

    How about you?

    Regards,
    Rebecca.

  4. #4
    AE-Martyn is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    March 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,050
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    637
    Thanked 763 Times in 434 Posts

    Default

    Dad of 3 here. Just back from paternity leave after #3.

    I have a girl (7) and two boys (nearly 5 and 4 weeks).

    Busy busy.

  5. #5
    Anthony-Coral is offline Former Employee of Coral
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Location
    Gibraltar
    Posts
    1,217
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 717 Times in 443 Posts

    Default

    Great that when Kids arrive, the fact that you now want to stay in and sleep whenever you can coincides with the exact moment that you are knackered and suddenly have no money!

    My kids are 11 and 5 and I can literally NOT REMEMBER WHAT I USED TO DO AT THE WEEKENDS BEFORE THEY ARRIVED!

    Did I sleep in? Did I share leisurely breakfasts in bed with my wife pouring over the newspaper? Did we stay up late watching movies?


    I have no idea

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony-Coral For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (20 May 2014)

  7. #6
    QuasarAffiliates is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    September 2012
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 88 Times in 78 Posts

    Default

    Hahahaha..that is so true, sometimes I say to myself that I never really valued all the 'free time' I had before my daughter was born. Of course I wouldn't change anything for the world but the other day I found myself leaving the house with my bed slippers, Minne in one hand, Barney somewhere in between and a zillion bags... I knew at that point that looking at the mirror before leaving the house just didnt apply to me anymore.

    Every minute of my day is now programmed. I am up everyday (including weekends) at approx 6 a.m. and sleep at around 11 p.m... with a few awakenings during the night. Thank god for good make up (when i remember to apply as i definitely it these days!)..lol

  8. #7
    Anthony-Coral is offline Former Employee of Coral
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Location
    Gibraltar
    Posts
    1,217
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 717 Times in 443 Posts

    Default

    True - now have only 30% of the time available but still manage somehow to get twice as much done as before...

    I remember a point when I was about to leave the house when I realised I had some baby-puke down the back of my shoulder from burping Amelia. I was about to go and change when I realised that, no...... ALL of my jumpers have baby-puke marks down the back of them.

  9. #8
    Maria F is offline No longer with Harbour Gaming Affiliates
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    2,406
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 337 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuasarAffiliates View Post
    Hi Maria,

    I have 1, she will be 2 end of April. I never have enough time to spend with her. She will start nursery soon and I haven't warmed up to the idea at all yet! Scary moment for me...exciting moment for her. Every morning she says, 'mummy school'...cant believe how excited she is about it and how I cant even bring myself to think positive about it.

    I guess it just makes me a mum.

    How about you?

    Regards,
    Rebecca.
    Hi Rebecca,

    My son is turning 18 in September. Believe me, you never stop worrying.

    The important thing is to make the most of every moment you have with them.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Maria F For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (20 May 2014)

  11. #9
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    A parenting corner sounds good to me. I have 2 little girls, 4 and 7

  12. #10
    QuasarAffiliates is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    September 2012
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 88 Times in 78 Posts

    Default

    Right now we are in potty training stage.. well sort of. It was working out really well until one day my daughter decided it was minnie's turn to sit on the potty. Since the result was an empty potty, its been bye bye potty ever since. She just refuses to sit in it without a diaper now. Perhaps she is just not ready.. any ideas??

  13. #11
    Maria F is offline No longer with Harbour Gaming Affiliates
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    2,406
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 337 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuasarAffiliates View Post
    Right now we are in potty training stage.. well sort of. It was working out really well until one day my daughter decided it was minnie's turn to sit on the potty. Since the result was an empty potty, its been bye bye potty ever since. She just refuses to sit in it without a diaper now. Perhaps she is just not ready.. any ideas??
    I went through a total nightmare when I was potty training my son. At the end we found out he had an issue, the opening of the penis was too narrow. We finally had to get him circumcised; he has been perfect ever since.

    Here you can find some good tips http://www.babycenter.com/0_successf...girls_11653.bc

  14. #12
    IhreConsulting's Avatar
    IhreConsulting is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 155 Times in 69 Posts

    Default

    What a nice thread to find today when I am working and juggling a sick 19 month old! I also have a son who will be 3 next week. I also wonder how I used to spend my time before they came along as it seems a distant memory to me!

    Today is also my birthday and my husband keeps apologising that its not a great day. Our lunch "date" got cancelled since we are tag teaming looking after Bethany and working, and since we don't really have anyone to babysit gone are the chances of a dinner "date" to celebrate either!

    Thats the joys of parenting according to my parents who are currently sunning themselves in Florida and have been for the last 5 months LOL

    But would I have it any other way...of course not.
    Edward Ihre / Claire Wellard / Katerina Milfaitova

    www.ihreconsulting.com
    affiliates@ihreconsulting.com

    Ihre Consulting

    Like & follow us socially
    Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Instagram

  15. #13
    Maria F is offline No longer with Harbour Gaming Affiliates
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    2,406
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 337 Times in 248 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IhreConsulting View Post
    What a nice thread to find today when I am working and juggling a sick 19 month old! I also have a son who will be 3 next week. I also wonder how I used to spend my time before they came along as it seems a distant memory to me!

    Today is also my birthday and my husband keeps apologising that its not a great day. Our lunch "date" got cancelled since we are tag teaming looking after Bethany and working, and since we don't really have anyone to babysit gone are the chances of a dinner "date" to celebrate either!

    Thats the joys of parenting according to my parents who are currently sunning themselves in Florida and have been for the last 5 months LOL

    But would I have it any other way...of course not.
    Happy birthday Claire!

    It’s lovely to see the soft side of this industry. We are all hard working people trying to make a good future for our families.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Maria F For This Useful Post:

    IhreConsulting (5 March 2014)

  17. #14
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    When it was time to toilet train my older daughter, my wife would closely watch her until she looked like she needed to use the toilet, then she'd pick her up and race her to the toilet, sit her down and tell her that this is where she is meant to go. It took a few tries, then she got the hang of it. My youngest daughter learned a little bit faster and easier because she would watch and learn from her older sister. But I sure am glad that stage of their lives is over I remember a time when half of our garbage bin was full of nappies.

  18. #15
    p.arena is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts

    Default

    My son is 2.5 mths old now, little guy is so cute. He's at the stage now where he smiles back at me when I smile at him

    Was hard the first couple months but he sleeps around 4-5 hrs most nights now so it's a lot better, becoming less of a zombie heheh

  19. #16
    QuasarAffiliates is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    September 2012
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 88 Times in 78 Posts

    Default

    Hi Claire,

    Happy Birthday is definitely in order.

    I know exactly what you are going through. I can relate to this only a couple months back. It was my husband's birthday and Faye and I were both sick. It was also Christmas time so we spent the holidays in doors. When I finally recovered, it was time to get back to the office. I was really looking forward to a week off with my girl but all plans went down hill. But I made it a point to try and do something different everyday in hope of cheering up my little one. You just hate seeing them unwell. It will pass and remember that you dont need a reason to organize a 'dinner date' make it happen when they are better.

    My husband and I and trying to make it a point to go out at least once a month....as I said 'trying' LOL




    Quote Originally Posted by IhreConsulting View Post
    What a nice thread to find today when I am working and juggling a sick 19 month old! I also have a son who will be 3 next week. I also wonder how I used to spend my time before they came along as it seems a distant memory to me!

    Today is also my birthday and my husband keeps apologising that its not a great day. Our lunch "date" got cancelled since we are tag teaming looking after Bethany and working, and since we don't really have anyone to babysit gone are the chances of a dinner "date" to celebrate either!

    Thats the joys of parenting according to my parents who are currently sunning themselves in Florida and have been for the last 5 months LOL

    But would I have it any other way...of course not.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to QuasarAffiliates For This Useful Post:

    IhreConsulting (6 March 2014)

  21. #17
    IhreConsulting's Avatar
    IhreConsulting is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 155 Times in 69 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Rebecca
    That sucks for sure! Both of you are sick and its Christmas time. I believe these things are sent to try us sometimes! But we come through it and like you say, you shouldn't really wait for a special occasion to have date night - you should make time for it when you can.

    I think we might try for a lunch next week when the kids are back in daycare. I don't think the mother in law would love it today if she came to take care of the kids while we work and we went out for lunch LOL I can picture the face now!!

    I am sure the "mother in law" could be a new thread all on its own so I won't get people started on that one....
    Edward Ihre / Claire Wellard / Katerina Milfaitova

    www.ihreconsulting.com
    affiliates@ihreconsulting.com

    Ihre Consulting

    Like & follow us socially
    Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Instagram

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IhreConsulting For This Useful Post:

    Renee (6 March 2014), Tarareef (8 July 2014)

  23. #18
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    This is a great idea to have a thread on this topic and give support to each other by sharing our stories. We have a 9 months baby girl and she is such a joy. Juggling between parenting and work is definitely a challenge though. We live abroad so we don't have the grand parents to help and we are lucky that my partner works from home so we didn't have to leave our daughter at day care at only 4 months old, I would have had a heart attack!
    A funny note: have you ever had your eye poked by your baby? lol Be aware, it just happened to me this week and with the job we do, we need our good eyesight! I had to stay away from the office for 2 days the time it healed. These powerful little fingers hahahaah

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to CondorAff-Christine For This Useful Post:

    pixmaster (6 March 2014)

  25. #19
    QuasarAffiliates is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    September 2012
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 88 Times in 78 Posts

    Default

    Hi Chris,

    I am glad you liked the thread. I thought about starting this because I too, tend to look for support and what better way to reach out to huge a great community.

    Congratulations on your baby and there is plenty to look forward too. Oh and in case she hasn't started walking yet, don't wish for it to happen too soon. LOL. You will need more than your eye sight but believe me it is all worth the effort and struggles we have to face.

    Claire, today my morning turned out to very different than expected...my daughter woke up with a nasty cough and it turns out she has the croup...to make matters worse, my husband is recovering from tonsillitis. A higher power is trying me out this week!

    hang in there everyone...we are not the first and definitely not the last. But I am sure glad I have you all the vent! Feeling calmer already.

    Regards,
    Rebecca

  26. #20
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Hi Rebecca,

    Thank you very much for your kind words and also for the heads up

    I am very sorry to hear your daughter woke up sick today and I am sending you loads of good vibes so she can recover fast and the same to Claire!

    Talk to you soon guys!

    Chris

    Quote Originally Posted by QuasarAffiliates View Post
    Hi Chris,

    I am glad you liked the thread. I thought about starting this because I too, tend to look for support and what better way to reach out to huge a great community.

    Congratulations on your baby and there is plenty to look forward too. Oh and in case she hasn't started walking yet, don't wish for it to happen too soon. LOL. You will need more than your eye sight but believe me it is all worth the effort and struggles we have to face.

    Claire, today my morning turned out to very different than expected...my daughter woke up with a nasty cough and it turns out she has the croup...to make matters worse, my husband is recovering from tonsillitis. A higher power is trying me out this week!

    hang in there everyone...we are not the first and definitely not the last. But I am sure glad I have you all the vent! Feeling calmer already.

    Regards,
    Rebecca

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •