Why is it that you never see "baby" Crows? I have never seen one, only the full grown PIA's that we all know and hate.
Another mystery is baby pigeons. Have not seen them either. Reckon why that is?
Why is it that you never see "baby" Crows? I have never seen one, only the full grown PIA's that we all know and hate.
Another mystery is baby pigeons. Have not seen them either. Reckon why that is?
--
"People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~
Maybe they eat their babies ....
iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.
BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.
I think they have mother issues.
I've seen baby magpies before... Which are similar to crows. Friggin annoying!
Maybe they are zombie birds, that just live forever.. WOOoOooOooo!
__________________
Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010
Here you have a baby crow, so cute!
Attachment 2799
They may not be cute but they are smart... very smart.
PBS did a documentary on just how smart Crows really are... I think you all would be amazed... I know I was.
http://video.pbs.org/video/1621910826/
Crows can identify individual Humans, by our faces... Crows pass down knowledge to their children... these are just two things that stand out in my mind as being f'ing amazing.
You want to get rid of Crows.. just kill one and hang it in a tree or on fence post, so the other crows can see it... The others will stay far far away... After they have their very own Wake/Grieving Session for their dead fellow crow. If you ever saw a Crow "Wake", you would never forget it, it is really weird. All the Crows will cluster in one or two trees, they will be totally silent for up to 4 hours, then all together they take off, circle the area, then leave...all without making a sound.
This grieving type of behavior is why a group of Crows is called a 'Murder'.
P.S. Why you don't see baby crows... They stay in the nest till they are fully grown.
They are cared for and tought by their parents for up to three years, after they are fully grown.
Last edited by lots0; 11 September 2012 at 11:59 am.
Anthony-Coral (13 September 2012), Chips (13 September 2012), Renee (11 September 2012)
I think i've seen that doc - very interesting. If it's the one i remember it covers them using pedestrian crossings to break open food they otherwise wouldn't be able to get at. Drop the food on the road, let the cars run over it then hit the crossing button so the cars stop and they can retreive the food. Very smart creatures!
iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.
BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.
Yup that's the same Documentary.
I forgot about them using cars to break open things...
They are amazingly smart.
The simple fact they are able to pass on knowledge to their offspring puts them on a much higher level of intelligence than any domestic animal.
That is amazing. I love stuff like that.
I will be searching for videos of that on the weekend now!
__________________
Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010
Here is the link to the video documentary.
http://video.pbs.org/video/1621910826/
It is called "A Murder of Crows". Well worth your time if your interested in this kind of stuff.
Renee (11 September 2012)
That is so interesting, thank you for sharing.
There is a crow that comes to my house very often and interacts with my dog. Every time I say to my husband ‘look Regis friend is here’, so perhaps the crow really recognizes my dog and loves to come and visit.
Shame that I can’t view the video you posted.
Personally i like crows, but i'm not fond of Magpies due to their tendency to mob-up and attack cats. I've had to take a pellet gun (non-leathal, but enough to give a nasty nip) to Magpies on a couple of occasions to discourage them from hanging around my garden after a couple of my cats had their ears ripped by them.
iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.
BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.
Renee (12 September 2012)
Yeah magpies are assholes for sure.
I have really curly hair and when I was younger (long before i used to chemically straighten it) magpies used to like to attack me because they thought my hair was a bloody nest.
__________________
Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010
Sorry you can't view the video. If you can reach pbs.org you should be able to view the video.
When I was a kid we used to hunt Magpies all the time. They would attack my Grandpa's Pigeons inside the Pigeon Coop, destroying eggs, killing and eating the young Pigeons. So every so often we would get a bunch of kids together and go hunting Magpies. My Grandpa would give us a Nickel for every one we killed...