Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default Dedicated IP and SSL Certificates

    Been wondering this for some time now. And just today I checked my hosting provider to decided whether or not I should go the Dedicated IP route.

    While checking costs - I noticed buying a dedicated IP cost about $120/year.
    If I were to buy an SSL certificate there are two prices. One for $99. And one for $50. The $50 one is called RSSL (for smaller businesses).

    I know usually SSL is only used for sites that do online payment trasactions or take credit card payments but i got thinking - they also check for malicous code on your site.

    One thing strange is the cost. Since buying a SSL certificate will cost about 1/2 the rate then just a dedicated IP. And an SSL includes I dedicated IP.

    That said - could it be a good idea to pay the $50 - $100 per year an get both a dedicated IP address and SSL certificate on your site to show TRUST?

    Would any of these influence SEO and Googles trust in the site, and possible give your site a boost.


    I mean for $100 a year it would be worth it if this was the case. PLus the added benefits of having the Certifcate which would allow people visting your site to view it as a trusted online site?

    Any ideas on this?

  2. #2
    Chips's Avatar
    Chips is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    3,618
    Thanks
    1,040
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    I don't see the advantage of the SSL on a portal unless you are selling a product or service. As far as dedicated IP's, I have several sites on them and recently added a non-gambling site to have a dedicated IP, the main reason for it was the IP it was on was shared with a porn site and some other dodgy looking sites.

    That rate is terribly high, I only pay $2/month for each one and at renewal time I pay a year in advance so $24 per IP is worth it to me.

    As for ranking I don't know if it helps or not but I added one site to a dedicated IP a few years ago as a test and it does carry more weight than the other sites on shared IP's. Might be a coincidence though.

    One interesting point though is when you look at whois at one of the sites on a dedicated IP, it lists it as being on a dedicated server. That could be the difference.
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chips For This Useful Post:

    GFPC (4 November 2010)

  4. #3
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    I went with a dedictaed IP for the same reasons as Chips. When I looked at the sites also being hosted with my site, there were all kinds of questionable sites associated with mine.

    Agreed the price you are looking at is very high. I pay 1.95 a month for a dedicted IP - In my mind money well spent!
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to TravG For This Useful Post:

    GFPC (4 November 2010)

  6. #4
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    Chips!!! Your the man!!! Thank you fine Sir!!!

    Yeah i know I do not need SSL true on that account. The funny part is, I can buy a dedicated IP - but they are charging me $10/month each...

    So that could run me on 10 sites - $100/month. And they only allow it monthly and no yearly fee which is a pain...

    If I buy the SSL I get it for $50/Year! The guy told me you just forget about SSL don't even use it. But it comes with a dedicated IP so he said just pay the $50 avoid using the SSL and just use the Dedicated IP... LOL

    This way I pay about $4/month for it!! It would seem my host is charging heavy on these things.. Weird huh?

    The other benefit I see to a Dedicated IP is the fact you can access the site via the numeric address. Sometimes when the name servers are down your domain cant resolve host and you get errors..

    This way you have constant access even during those times (infrequent).

    Of course your also right about other sites listed on your IP - if they are doing naughty things it can reflect on you..

    I really do think it makes a slight difference in Google as well - maybe for the simple reason like you said - they think your on a dedicated server.

    I am going to test it on 1 site first!!

    Thanks Chips!! You Rock Buddy!


    Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    I don't see the advantage of the SSL on a portal unless you are selling a product or service. As far as dedicated IP's, I have several sites on them and recently added a non-gambling site to have a dedicated IP, the main reason for it was the IP it was on was shared with a porn site and some other dodgy looking sites.

    That rate is terribly high, I only pay $2/month for each one and at renewal time I pay a year in advance so $24 per IP is worth it to me.

    As for ranking I don't know if it helps or not but I added one site to a dedicated IP a few years ago as a test and it does carry more weight than the other sites on shared IP's. Might be a coincidence though.

    One interesting point though is when you look at whois at one of the sites on a dedicated IP, it lists it as being on a dedicated server. That could be the difference.
    @UltimatePokerBonus - Yeah i hear you. Me too!! I was thinking the same thing. I know price is huge. Its crazy. I have to buy the SSL so i can get it for $4/month.. Which is double the price.. oh well still it seems worth it!!



    Quote Originally Posted by UltimatePokerBonus View Post
    I went with a dedictaed IP for the same reasons as Chips. When I looked at the sites also being hosted with my site, there were all kinds of questionable sites associated with mine.

    Agreed the price you are looking at is very high. I pay 1.95 a month for a dedicted IP - In my mind money well spent!
    However one advantage to SSL - is if I ever add a forum or login in scenario. Anything where they need to supply any info. I can have the information protected and the program also runs your site for malicious code.
    Last edited by GFPC; 4 November 2010 at 9:10 am.

  7. #5
    AnthonyMSEO is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2009
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Red face

    Exactly SSL fine for security when its needed. Yes would look to Google that you are a secure site if your site took payments through it. Not portals really.

    I would say dedicated IPS are a con, shared IPs are fine. Google have explained before that as long as 90-95% of the domains on one IP hasnt been flagged or have been know to be playing dirty then Google treats every site shared on that IP individually.

    Shared is fine.

    If you really want to and its cheap like $1 a month then fine get a dedicated one.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyMSEO For This Useful Post:

    GFPC (4 November 2010)

  9. #6
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,981
    Thanks
    4,539
    Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,979 Posts

    Default

    they also check for malicous code on your site.
    SSL doesn't really have much to do with malware checking, although your specific host might be more thorough on sites requestion one.

    I agree that if acquiring the dedicated ip by purchasing an ssl is cheaper, then by all means do so, however I would recommend against using it for general traffic since the use of it does add a slight amount of overhead on each end and therefore has the potential to slow down pages...

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    GFPC (4 November 2010)

  11. #7
    AnthonyMSEO is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2009
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Possibly yes good point didnt think of that. Your pages could load slower with SSL.


    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    SSL doesn't really have much to do with malware checking, although your specific host might be more thorough on sites requestion one.

    I agree that if acquiring the dedicated ip by purchasing an ssl is cheaper, then by all means do so, however I would recommend against using it for general traffic since the use of it does add a slight amount of overhead on each end and therefore has the potential to slow down pages...

    Rick
    Universal4

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyMSEO For This Useful Post:

    GFPC (4 November 2010)

  13. #8
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    Yes i read that!! I know. I am more going to buy it for the cheaper rate. Good points guys!! Thanks for he feedback!

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    SSL doesn't really have much to do with malware checking, although your specific host might be more thorough on sites requestion one.

    I agree that if acquiring the dedicated ip by purchasing an ssl is cheaper, then by all means do so, however I would recommend against using it for general traffic since the use of it does add a slight amount of overhead on each end and therefore has the potential to slow down pages...

    Rick
    Universal4

  14. #9
    Chips's Avatar
    Chips is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    3,618
    Thanks
    1,040
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    Just be sure they don't force you into buying the SSL certificate. That can be rather costly, or do they give you the certificate with the package? Might do well to make sure before they try to bamboozle you. (I know I am cynical, too many years in business.)
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

  15. #10
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    Yeah thanks Chips!! I am like you!! haha

    I already bought it about 12 hours ago. The cost includes everything. SSL and Dedicated IP. I already got it all done. Not even going to use the SSL.

    The only thing is its taking forever for the IP to work. Still not propagated from what they tell me.. LOL


    But I took a look at one of your sites and see how it will look

    I am testing it right now as soon as it starts working.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    Just be sure they don't force you into buying the SSL certificate. That can be rather costly, or do they give you the certificate with the package? Might do well to make sure before they try to bamboozle you. (I know I am cynical, too many years in business.)

  16. #11
    ALEX777 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 76 Times in 64 Posts

    Arrow

    100$ per year is a very high price. You can buy a UK IP for approximately £20 per year and US IP for ~ $20.

  17. #12
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    yeah i know.. i paid $50 for the year. Just today it works..

    But the ip address points to the root of my files. So it shows a 403 error.

    I cant seem to fix it - they are saying its a glitch.. still waiting for it to fix.

    Wondering if i can .httaccess it.

  18. #13
    ALEX777 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 76 Times in 64 Posts

    Arrow

    GFPC, of course you can .httacces it.

    Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^90\.50\.120\.120$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [L,R=301]
    Put this in root.

    Good luck with your projects.

  19. #14
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    I am going to try it now..

    Will this work if i have say 9 dedicated ips?

    I mean i have 9 sites i wast to do this with. All will have dedicated ips.

    Do i need to write this code 9 times but change the site?

    I think this may only work for one site only unless i specify each IP
    direct to the domain?

    Steve

    P.S. Thanks for your help by the way!

    Quote Originally Posted by ALEX777 View Post
    GFPC, of course you can .httacces it.

    Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^90\.50\.120\.120$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [L,R=301]
    Put this in root.

    Good luck with your projects.

  20. #15
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    By the way I used that mod re write code and it doesn't work.

    I did revise it to the dedicated IP - it works if i type the ip address and the rest.

    But that only 301 redirects it!

    What i want is the actually IP address to access the site - not a redirect.

    Ex: (not my ip) 56.543.45.32 - to show in address bar when access homepage.

    Then all urls to look like this -- 56.543.45.32/any-url.php/ when clicking any link on site....

    I see sites that have it when you use the IP address it accesses the site. This can be good when for example the servers thast handle domain mapping are down you can still access the site with ip address.

    Any code for that?

  21. #16
    ALEX777 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 76 Times in 64 Posts

    Arrow

    Hi GFPC. You can do this by uploading your site to the root of this IP. So 1 major site will be accessible by IP or URL.

    *depends on server type and configuration* You must point your domain to the root, in this case, or ask your webhosting to do so.

    (you can do this for all 9 IP's and sites).

    And, what you are trying to achieve is not possible for each domain (hosted on same IP).

    But I do not recommend doing all this because of the "duplicated content" issue. (and, Imagine, if your IP will be ranked higher than domain name?)

    And, If you (or webhosting) decide to change your IP, you will loose your rankings.

    As an alternative, you can create a simle sitemap of hosted domains on that IP, (for example as I did http://92.48.110.123/ )

    Alex.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to ALEX777 For This Useful Post:

    GFPC (9 November 2010)

  23. #17
    ALEX777 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 76 Times in 64 Posts

    Arrow

    This can be good when for example the servers thast handle domain mapping are down you can still access the site with ip address.
    If DNS server is down, .htaccess is also will be unreachable. So, there is no point in writing the code.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to ALEX777 For This Useful Post:

    GFPC (9 November 2010)

  25. #18
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    Hey Alex,

    That is a good point about the DNS Server being down, thast the .htaccess would not work.

    In our case We will have 9 dedicated IPS! I am buying all dedicated for each site but all 9 ips will point to root. My hosting will not point them to folders.

    I could do like you said only have 1 site in the root. I just thought it would be best to have all of them accessible via the IP address. I guess this is to hard to do... plus your idea of duplicate content is interesting..

    I like the idea of the site map to be honest. That is pretty cool. But again that causes issue since we cannot run 9 index files in our root.

    So we have 9 dedicated IPS - all pointing to the root. This is the issue i have.
    I want them to point to folder of each site respectively.

    I guess the only way to do this is do the 301 redirect, and do it 9 times and point each ip to the domain and forget about the rest.

  26. #19
    ALEX777 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 76 Times in 64 Posts

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by GFPC View Post
    My hosting will not point them to folders.
    Hm, why not? *Consider to buy a good VPS or Cloud Hosting

    Quote Originally Posted by GFPC View Post
    In our case We will have 9 dedicated IPS! I am buying all dedicated for each site but all 9 ips will point to root.
    Yes, in this case the best solution is a small sitemap of all hosted domains.

    Good luck with new sites

    Alex.

  27. #20
    GFPC is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 674 Posts

    Default

    Yeah thanks Alex.. i have some ideas!!

    Thanks for all your help mate!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •