Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Insomnia

  1. #1
    mojo's Avatar
    mojo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    4,985
    Thanks
    1,933
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,223 Posts

    Default Insomnia

    It's been over a year since I quit my job to do this full time. Since then I have developed insomnia. It's terrible! I watch the sun come up because I can't sleep and then crash by noon. Everyone else is sleeping. It happens a couple times a week and then I'm all messed up. I don't schedule things for the morning because I don't know if I'll be sleeping or not.

    The dr gave me some sleeping pills and they work but I don't want to take them every day. Maybe I would but she didn't give me enough which is probably a good thing LOL.

    Anyone else have this problem? Ideas?

  2. #2
    Shaun O'neill is offline Former Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    June 2009
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,320
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 247 Times in 192 Posts

    Default

    Mojo

    I know that feel so well.

    For years i lived on 4 hours of sleep i just could not sleep, it did not help that when we lived in Costa Rica the sun rise was liike 5.30am but i have changed my life in the last couple of months, in the way i work out which is now 6 times a week i also eat a very clean diet, i limit my carbs and i eat loads of protien no soda and i limit my red wine in take to a big steak or the weeks the results are unreal:

    1. I sleep at least 7 hours every night (solid sleep not even my 7 month old baby wake me up )

    2. I am in the best shape possible

    3. My wife says at time i am also better to live with

    I also stopped smoking in January 2009 which makes mee feel amazing, small thing can major differance.

    Good luck.

    Shaun





    ote=mojo;567354]It's been over a year since I quit my job to do this full time. Since then I have developed insomnia. It's terrible! I watch the sun come up because I can't sleep and then crash by noon. Everyone else is sleeping. It happens a couple times a week and then I'm all messed up. I don't schedule things for the morning because I don't know if I'll be sleeping or not.

    The dr gave me some sleeping pills and they work but I don't want to take them every day. Maybe I would but she didn't give me enough which is probably a good thing LOL.

    Anyone else have this problem? Ideas?[/quote]

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun O'neill For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  4. #3
    mojo's Avatar
    mojo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    4,985
    Thanks
    1,933
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,223 Posts

    Default

    Congrats on quitting smoking! I keep trying and failing. It'll stick one of these days.

    I think you are right and the doc said get lots of excercise and watch what you eat. I could do with more excercise. Easier said than done.

    Good advice Shaun.

  5. #4
    Shaun O'neill is offline Former Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    June 2009
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,320
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 247 Times in 192 Posts

    Default

    Paula

    Try some light classes a bit of cardio and work your way up.

    I wake every day at like 6am I in the gym by 7.30am until 9.30am it also gets me ready for the day clears my head, i would not change it and my body is looking better so it has so many rewards.

    With smoking i tried about 7 times and failed i just had to get my head right, I really will never go back to smoking even though i loved to smoke.

    Shaun

  6. #5
    giggles7p's Avatar
    giggles7p is offline In Memoriam, 1962-2011
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Location
    Northeast usa.
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    2,443
    Thanked 792 Times in 461 Posts

    Default

    Morning...

    Paula the key is to quit smoking. I swear to god Shaun is correct and i am proof. I smoked for 26 years and the last 10 years of it i could not sleep either, up until 3 or 4 am,...and up for work at 7am...every day over and over.....I tried everything, even sleep pills, they worked and i feel asleep earlier but i still only slept 3 to 4 hours.....the big difference came when i quit smoking after getting lung problems.

    Let me ask you a question....you said that ever since you quit your day job you have had a problem sleeping.....but i bet you anything, the one difference since you are home everyday now all day long, is you are smoking more now then you did a year ago? Am I correct? And that is why you now can not sleep, more cigs...less sleep.

    Problem solved! loll.....[ps...i went back to smoking and started not sleeping good again]
    Gambling forum offering the best in online gambling
    777casinoforum.com

    Online Casino portal featuring International Casinos
    qwertycasino.com

    The relaxed affiliate forum, filled with pleasant, thoughtful banter.
    Grab a cold one or a cup of coffee and relax with gambling industry professionals!

    GamblingAffiliatePlace

    Gambling & Casino News
    CasinoScamReport

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to giggles7p For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  8. #6
    Engineer's Avatar
    Engineer is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Posts
    524
    Thanks
    488
    Thanked 437 Times in 211 Posts

    Default

    Do you drink coffee, mojo? I do, and if I have it in the late afternoon / early evening, I have trouble falling asleep at night.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Engineer For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  10. #7
    casinobonusguy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Posts
    2,681
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    I have a cool idea -try turning off the computer earlier.I use to go to bed 4am and sometimes as late as 5:30am then up again 8am.now i turn it off at 12:30 watch an hour of tv then in bed 1:30ish and sleep within 5 minutes.Also fresh air helps you sleep too

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to casinobonusguy For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  12. #8
    Shaun O'neill is offline Former Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    June 2009
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,320
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 247 Times in 192 Posts

    Default

    Rule of coffee is 1 cup every 4 hours.

    I can have coffee 20 mins before i go to bed and sleep no problem.

    Shaun

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Do you drink coffee, mojo? I do, and if I have it in the late afternoon / early evening, I have trouble falling asleep at night.

  13. #9
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,994
    Thanks
    4,543
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    Drink more beer with Joe....

    LOL

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  15. #10
    thepokerkeep's Avatar
    thepokerkeep is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2007
    Location
    London Canada
    Posts
    2,886
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 799 Posts

    Default

    I rarely get more than 3 or 4 hours sleep a night. I try to compensate by napping at noon for 20 or 30 minutes.

    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. LOL

    I find I sleep best in a very cool room, with no light or noise at all - any sound will wake me up. Even the sound of a fan running keeps me up.

    And yes Pat, I smoke and drink too much coffee.

    I've tried alcohol, sex, alcohol and sex, nothing seems to work. But, I'm not a quitter so I'll keep trying.
    Terry - The Pokerkeep
    President / CEO - Gambling Affiliates Union

    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Affiliate Resources
    Gambling Affiliate Program Blacklist

    Email: admin @ thepokerkeep.com



  16. The Following User Says Thank You to thepokerkeep For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  17. #11
    CK - Schalk's Avatar
    CK - Schalk is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2008
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 121 Times in 81 Posts

    Default

    My sleeping habits are described perfectly by the following:



    “I never get enough sleep. I stay up late at night, cause I’m Night Guy. Night Guy wants to stay up late. ‘What about getting up after five hours sleep?’, oh that’s Morning Guy’s problem. That’s not my problem, I’m Night Guy. I stay up as late as I want. So you get up in the morning, you’re exhausted, groggy… oooh I hate that Night Guy! See, Night Guy always screws Morning Guy. There’s nothing Morning Guy can do. The only Morning Guy can do is try and oversleep often enough so that Day Guy looses his job and Night Guy has no money to go out anymore.”


    - Jerry Seinfeld


    Genius.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CK - Schalk For This Useful Post:

    Martin Gale (22 November 2010), mojo (5 November 2009), TrishOZ (5 November 2009)

  19. #12
    specialagent08 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2009
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Thumbs up Me Too

    I have had issues sleeping at night ever since my teens!

    The more projects / ideas I undertake the worse it is lol

    while people around me are in the land of zzzz's I am planning my next business adventure......

    Sure it will all pay off though

    regards

    Josh
    :-
    JOIN OUR NEW GAMBLING FORUMS - DISCUSS ALL ASPECTS OF GAMBLING (signatures enabled):- GAMBLING FORUMS

    Online Gambling Portal - Poker Sites - Casinos - Bingo Sites - Betting Sites - Articles


  20. The Following User Says Thank You to specialagent08 For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  21. #13
    Helene's Avatar
    Helene is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Do you drink coffee, mojo? I do, and if I have it in the late afternoon / early evening, I have trouble falling asleep at night.
    Hey Mojo!

    Engineer is right.. try to avoid drinking coffee, tea, orange juice or mint, redbul ect.. in the afternoon. if my mum has a coffee at noon, she can't sleep till 3am...

    Eating well at regular times help too and try to have a light meal at night.. not too fat but consistent enough so you don't wake up in the middle of the night starving ...

    Cleaning your head before going to bed in important too. And no work out at night... depends what some ppl may consider work out :P

    I think you're right about not taking too many sleeping pills.. it's even worse after you want to stop them. Try some light ones (homeopathy - i know it doesn't work for everybody.. they won't make you sleep, but they can help you relax)

    As you can tell... i couldn't sleep much at one stage.. now i'm way better.
    By bf has the same thing in his family.. something that helps him is trying to go to bed at one stage, laying down and trying to relax even if he knows he can take a while to sleep.. without trying to think too much about sleeping..

    not a great feeling to be deprived of sleep... wish you found quickly something that works for you

    Have a great week-end!
    Cheers,
    Helene

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Helene For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  23. #14
    TrishOZ is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    296
    Blog Entries
    33
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 59 Times in 52 Posts

    Default

    My lack of sleep stems from my love of computer games. Almost every night during the week I am home from work playing some game of some sort either on the computer or the xbox.

    Before I know it - it's midnight again and I have to be up early to go to work, but it's the one thing that I love to do so I try to make the most of it!

    Paula, if exercise is not your thing (it's definitely not mine but I think I will need to start doing something) try walking. Just a half hour walk every day may help your body to rest more peacefully at night

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to TrishOZ For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  25. #15
    GamTrak's Avatar
    GamTrak is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,261
    Thanks
    1,678
    Thanked 890 Times in 629 Posts

    Default

    It's nice to know that I'm NOT alone. I seem to not need hardly any sleep at all these days!

    I suffer from the same thing as you Trish as it relates to this darn computer and facebook application. I've hardly worked in 2 weeks, but I'm calling it a vacation.

    I'm usually up at 5 am and stay up until midnight sometimes without taking a nap (which I used to require daily a few years ago). I would take a nap at 3pm come rain or shine and everyone knew not to call me at that time.

    Reminds me of when my dad use to tell us that one day we would not need an alarm clock to wake up on time when we use to be late for school and I thought he was crazy, but it turns out that he was right again. lol

    I don't even wanna think about how bad I've been at exercising. I have a gym in the basement and I've not been down there in months and that was just to get hubby for the phone. We have treadmill, bowflex and other stuff just collecting dust.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to GamTrak For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  27. #16
    Shaun O'neill is offline Former Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    June 2009
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,320
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 247 Times in 192 Posts

    Default

    Well Paula as i said i had my 7 hours slepp its now 6.30am local time in Estonia , -3 outside and I am off to the gym for a couple of hours friday i have to work outs so to night i sleep like a baby.

    Have a good day.

    Shaun

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun O'neill For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  29. #17
    casinobonusguy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Posts
    2,681
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thepokerkeep View Post
    I rarely get more than 3 or 4 hours sleep a night. I try to compensate by napping at noon for 20 or 30 minutes.

    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. LOL

    I find I sleep best in a very cool room, with no light or noise at all - any sound will wake me up. Even the sound of a fan running keeps me up.

    And yes Pat, I smoke and drink too much coffee.

    I've tried alcohol, sex, alcohol and sex, nothing seems to work. But, I'm not a quitter so I'll keep trying.
    LOL Terry you are so funny.Now we know why Dale had to go to bed at dinner time , you keep her up all night !

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to casinobonusguy For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  31. #18
    Connie B's Avatar
    Connie B is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    April 2002
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Canada
    Posts
    539
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked 152 Times in 91 Posts

    Default

    Hello Mojo,

    I found these tips:

    Top Ten Tips For Beating Insomnia

    1. If you have an alarm clock with a large bright display, place it out of sight. The last thing you need when trying to sleep is a constant reminder of how late it is - stressing over being awake will keep you awake!

    2. Eliminate as much light as possible, including light from alarm clocks and vcr panels.

    3. If your sleep is interrupted by outside sounds, try masking them with the sound of an air fan, a radio tuned to static or by using a white noise machine.

    4. Keep a moderate ambient temperature - if it's too hot or cold your body won't want to relax

    5. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine or nicotine. It's best to abstain from these altogether but if you can't then try to avoid them before late afternoon/ early evening.

    6. Even if you're tired during the day don't take naps as this will it make it harder for you to get to sleep at night.

    7. Don't exercise too close to bedtime (at least 3 hours) as your body needs time to wind down and will keep your mind awake.

    8. Adopt a 'going to bed' routine, a ritual that signals your brain that the day is ending and it's time to shut down. Don't do any work or any puzzle-solving during this ritual.

    9. Only use your bed for sleep or sex. Don't fill your bedroom with computers, tvs or anything not to do with restful activities.

    10. If you haven't dropped off to sleep within half an hour, don't lay there stressing over it. Get up and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy.
    ---

    Cheers,
    Connie Burstin
    Telegram: @connieburstin
    Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/connieburstin
    --

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Connie B For This Useful Post:

    mojo (5 November 2009)

  33. #19
    mojo's Avatar
    mojo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    4,985
    Thanks
    1,933
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,223 Posts

    Default

    Thanks guys! Good stuff there. I do drink coffee in the afternoon and yep Pat, I smoke more. I have chantix but havent quit yet. Cutting the coffee is going to be much easier than the cigs.

    Too funny some of you. Alcohol and sex. Love that jerry seinfeld bit too.

    I'm going to try some of these suggestions. I do need dark. I need the fan on. I need to shut off the puter earlier. Arrrghhh. It's after midnight now. I could try setting the alarm maybe like when I was working a reg job.

    I read an article that puters keep you awake, not sure if that's correct or not.

    Or I could just take this advice lol:

    “The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep.” WC Fields

  34. #20
    Webzcas's Avatar
    Webzcas is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    1,395
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 409 Posts

    Default

    I have chantix but havent quit yet.
    I used Champix ( UK name for Chantix ) at the start of the year. It actually worked and I gave up for four months or so. But I started again in June

    Planning on giving up again on New Years Day, but without champix

    I'm also finding I am waking much earlier nowadays. Getting up before 5am is now becoming the norm. But it allows me time to catch up with the forums, brainstorm and check up on my stats. So by the time I get into the office by 9am I am ready to go and write content for my sites.
    Exit stage left

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •